Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is there such thing as a SN childminder?

(8 Posts)
nappyaddict Mon 27-Jun-11 16:48:49

My friend is a childminder and I was shocked to hear she looks after one boy who is autistic and another who is dyspraxic despite only doing the standard childminding course which is only about 13 weeks long. Also even if the child's needs are very high the ratio stays the same. I stupidly presumed that there would be some extra training and the ratio would be higher.

CQrrrnee Mon 27-Jun-11 17:06:19

I don't think there is. My first childminder was recommended to me by the area supervisor person and they were great. However due to a change in my working week ds then went on to have another childminder who, despite knowing about his difficulties, was really awful to/about him - gossiping about him etc because she found his behaviour difficult to manage and wanted to blame someone. So in hindsight I think there should be some kind of training.

Toffeefudgecake Tue 28-Jun-11 01:57:25

Childminders can do extra training with special needs' children - it's encouraged, but it isn't mandatory.

I believe they can also request extra payment if they are only able to look after one child with special needs and this prevents them taking on other children. I'm not sure who they apply to for this, but I'm pretty sure a supplement is available.

My childminder (just awarded 'outstanding' by Ofsted) has done a lot of extra training to qualify as a childminder who is listed with the local childminding group as able to help with special needs' children. She now looks after a girl with autism.

The NCMA should be able to give you more information on this.

saladsandwich Tue 28-Jun-11 19:54:23

i did childminding for 2 years and one of my children had autism, wasn't diagnosed at the time though and my other child was a sibling, i did nursery and school jobs first though and i'd worked at a school for children with ASD, i don't think it would have been right to take the child on if i'd had no experience at all of special needs.

x

maturingnicely Tue 28-Jun-11 20:06:37

There is such a thing as special needs childminder! I did it for a while, but i found i was getting calls from parents of children who did not have special needs, they needed childcare in order to work. I wanted to offer a respite service to parents. I wondered after i stopped doing it, if parents (a) think of childminders 1st when looking for care (b) are not ready to let go at an early age or (c) just send their children to nursery because they dont think childminders have the necessary skills/knowledge? There is funding available to support an increase in staffing ratios via the Early Years and Childcare Service/Inclusion Teams, not sure if its available to childminders...but worth asking!

nappyaddict Tue 28-Jun-11 23:24:23

I was wondering if the childminder could charge me, the parent, more as they might not be able to look after as many children when my DS was there?

maturingnicely Is there such thing as a SN childminder for parents who need childcare when they are working? That's what I need - not respite.

nappyaddict Tue 28-Jun-11 23:28:38

Oh and did you have a certificate to say you were a SN childminder as opposed to just a normal ofsted registered one?

What sort of training did you have, how long did you do it for, did you have to update it every so often?

How many children could you have at once or did it depends on the needs of the child? Could you have NT children at the same time as SN ones?

Presumably if you did it for respite you got paid through a charity, the government or the council or did the parents get the money paid to them first and then they would pay you? Did they pay the standard hourly rate or was it more cos the child would have more needs?

feynman Wed 29-Jun-11 01:29:07

Could you ask your hv or local childrens centre or play group, if they know anyone. They often do. I was really lucky in that a friend of a friend childminds and has an autistic daughter. She happily took on my son and has been fantatic. Its so nice to be able to drop him off knowing he'll have a great time within having to go through seven million things with her as she 'gets it'. She's beginning to get well known now amongst local parents and I have had people ask me if she has spaces. I would try all local baby groups/playgroups etc as you may get lucky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now