Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

1 in 5 families resort to legal action for right school support

(5 Posts)
AlysWho Mon 27-Jun-11 14:33:23

This is SUCH a familiar story to many of us, the National Autistic Society are running a campaign to Email your MP to lobby them for better service and launching a campaign 'Great Expectations'

'Too many parents have to fight to get the right support for their child at school. Our research found that over a quarter of parents had waited over two years to get that support, and 1 in 5 told us they?d had to take legal action. This is unacceptable.

Great Expectations is our new campaign to change this. Please email your MP to ask them to support the campaign in parliament. e-activist.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=10&ea.campaign.id=11038 '

Seems worthwhile to me.

Starchart Mon 27-Jun-11 14:51:03

Why is it called Great Expectations?

It sounds like people are asking for amazing provision when really it should be called 'Adequate Expectations' as in law that is all our children are entitled to.

Or can it be called 'Campaining for Statements of Educational Rights' rather than the dubious 'needs'.

Peaceflower Mon 27-Jun-11 15:11:38

Thank you for posting. I have emailed my MP and requested a meeting to discuss smile.

bochead Mon 27-Jun-11 15:20:11

Went to see my MP on saturday face to face. Underwhelmed sadly : (

It should read 1 in 5 familes driven to take legal action in order to obtain the adequate educational support the law currently requires to be provided for all children regardless of ability.

yomellamoHelly Mon 27-Jun-11 18:59:46

Think 1 in 5 is the tip of the iceberg in terms of parents dissatisfied with what their children are getting. Not everyone can stand the stress of the process.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now