Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Universal credit -current dla medium rate care to go

(17 Posts)
bochead Sun 26-Jun-11 22:50:39

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2011-06-13a.512.2&s="disability+living+allowance"

It's quite away down on this link but essentially they are intending to do away with having a medium rate for care. This will mean there will be only 2 bands - one at approx £75, and one at £25. For those of us on MR this could have big implications. (My personal suspicion is that many on medium should really be getting higher rate currently but are just too tired to fight)

One thought that occured to me straight away was that lone parents of kids who don't qualify for the new higher rate would be required to sign on and seek work, or lose benefit. They would also have to take part in work focused training as and when required by the job centre.

Even for those who won't risk those dire straights what about all the additional things that make life easier for current medium rate claimants from disabled loo keys and the right to ask for a quiet waiting space at coach stations.

It's still to make it through the Lords but I'm a firm believer in forewarned is forearmed. I do hope disability campaigners make headway with the coalition's plans but thought peeps might appreciate the heads up so they can start planning the lifestyle adjustments needed in case it does go through.

tiredoffightingwithjelly Sun 26-Jun-11 23:56:56

Thanks bochead I will look at the link, I can imagine the financial hardship some people will face when the changes come in, as if it isn't hard enough getting what your child/ren need already.

Amieesmum Mon 27-Jun-11 00:15:41

Hmmm - Well done, yet another of Mr Camerons - shit on people worse off than me - cuts

Any idea what this bit means??

Amendment 30, in clause 10, page 4, line 36, at end insert—

‘subject to these amounts being not less than the additional support for disabled children provided through benefits and tax credits prior to the introduction of Universal Credit.’.

pretentiouswasteoftime Mon 27-Jun-11 06:56:28

I think Ben10 it means that those of us currently receiving middle rate will not see an immediate drop in our income. All new claimants will and I suspect as we are all subject to re-applying at various times that these might count as new claims (not certain of this though).

<starts to write yet another letter to MP asking another question>

Found it. Sorry being thick

Why am I not surprised that DS's first award only runs to 2013.........

What I noticed is that they didn't debate the removal of the middle rate at all. Obviously not of interest to them

Starchart Mon 27-Jun-11 08:44:23

Does that mean the end of carers allowance and the NI contributions?

Starchart Mon 27-Jun-11 08:45:17

Hope they're doubling the social care budget for 5 yrs time, and the NHS budget for that matter.

nicevideoshameaboutthesong Mon 27-Jun-11 10:56:03

Okay, we've got one award that runs til 2015, and one that runs til 2016, both hrc - when will we need to deal with this?

electra Mon 27-Jun-11 11:03:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pretentiouswasteoftime Mon 27-Jun-11 14:43:17

Mine runs out next March Ben10. Am expecting the renewal pack within the next few months. I did the first one on my own but am going to ask for support to do the renewal as I just don't trust the system to be fair anymore.

pretentiouswasteoftime Mon 27-Jun-11 14:47:40

Electra they are looking at children's DLA but the drop will cone from the tax credit premium you get if your child receives DLA. For me it makes all the difference as I can meet DS's needs while working part time instead of working full time. DS has definitely benefitted from this . New claimants will not receive the same top up. It's expected to halve under the new system and will definitely have an impact on families who have children newly diagnosed.

electra Mon 27-Jun-11 21:48:47

electra Mon 27-Jun-11 21:51:59

bochead Mon 27-Jun-11 22:13:08

I think the VERY earliest it will affect anyone IF it goes thru like this is 2014.

I'm not sure there's a true understanding of the current DLA as it stands, by those at the top, especially as the media seems determined to make it sound like a skivers benefit. This whole debate indicates a really poor standard of evidence based research has gone into these proposals as they stand imho.

Do add your names to any petitions doing the rounds, email your MP etc now though as the whole thing just seems so badly thought through - especially if you combine it with the changes to education provision, legal aid etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now