Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Retained Reflexes- Can I pick your collective brains please?

(10 Posts)
siblingrivalry Sun 26-Jun-11 22:49:19

DD1 is 10, with dx of AS, Dyspraxia and Dyscalculia.
The main traits of her AS are anxiety and the need to control. This has all got so much worse lately.

On the advice of some posters in here, I looked into retained reflexes and found that dd1 ticked every box for a retained moro reflex. I knew she still had it at a year old, because I remember her being startled by a door slamming and throwing her arms out in the classic way.

What I was wondering, though, is how you know where the AS begins and possible RR end, because the 'symptoms' overlap?

And also, has anyone got a dx of RR and, if so, where do I go for possible advice and/or therapy? I have seen a few things online, but would prefer to hear about other people's experiences first.

Many thanks in advance.

IndigoBell Sun 26-Jun-11 22:57:55

You don't get a dx of RR - you get therapy to cure it.

Nobody knows where AS begins and RR ends - until after you have finished RR therapy. Then whatever ASD symptoms you are left with weren't caused by RR grin

My DSs main AS traits were anxiety - and RRT has been very, very, successful for him.

I have been going to Sound Learning Centre. Other people on here go to Hemispheres and INPP

LeninGrad Sun 26-Jun-11 23:07:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Eveiebaby Sun 26-Jun-11 23:13:16

I have no experience at the moment but am taking DD 5.0 (ASD) to the Sound Learning Centre in a few weeks for a neuro developmental assessment. As Indigo says you do not know where AS begins and RR ends.
I have researched so much about retained reflexes and I think it may help my DD so that is why I have decided to go ahead with the therapy. I can hopefully update you in a few months time smile.

siblingrivalry Mon 27-Jun-11 08:42:46

Thanks so much everyone -I am in a mega-rush atm (ready to do school run) but wanted to pop in to say I will be back later. Looking forward to reading through the replies later.
Have a good morning everyone smile

blueShark Mon 27-Jun-11 09:08:45

DSs moro went down from 100% to 62% in 6 months with the RRT and his anxiety is so much reduced, so cannot highly recommend you look into RR.

IndigoBell Mon 27-Jun-11 09:57:28

BlueShark - did you mean cannot highly recommend you look into RR. - or did you mean the opposite? grin

My DSs Moro reflex went down from 80% to 12% in about 3 months, and yes, his anxiety went down about that much as well.

blueShark Mon 27-Jun-11 10:00:07

oh I am struggling to find a suitable sleeping position and this heat is not helping atm so with reduced hours I am not really sure what I have written grin but yes I recommend it looots!

oddgirl Mon 27-Jun-11 10:11:09

Morning ladies grin.
As Indigo has said, many of the behaviours seen in ASD/ADHD/dyspraxia/dyslexia etc etc are signs of neurological immaturity. Depending where that immaturity occurs will determine the behaviours you are seeing. Many therapies for these disorders work on the symptomatic behaviours (behavioural approach). Whilst useful, I have found that RR seems to address the problem at its cause rather than its symptom (a more neurological approach). I do RR with Hemispheres and it has transformed DS (6 with ASD/dyspraxia). It takes along time and commitment to doing the exercises but real tangible differences can be seen. I would highly recommend. Addressing DS moro meant we now have a child who can sit in a classroom rather than needing to exit constantly because he was constantly in fight or flight mode.
HTH

siblingrivalry Mon 27-Jun-11 12:06:31

Some fantastic advice here, thank you so much everyone.
I'm so pleased to hear that RR therapy has produced such good results for so many of your dc.

Indigo you made me smile saying that what ever the RR therapy doesn't cure is caused by ASD- there are so many cross overs, aren't there, that we never really know the root cause of our dc's issues?

DD is also constantly in 'fight or flight' mode and tbh it's bloody exhausting for all of us. She's so anxious and it makes her volatile, irritable and controlling.
She leaps 3 feet in the air if someone approaches her unexpectedly and is really sensitive to unexpected noises- eg footsteps running past the house makes her jump/cover her ears/hide behind a cushion etc.

I am going to have a good look through all of the links you all provided and read up as much as I can. I am definitely going to give this careful consideration, because I am lost as to what to do next and I am willing to give it a good shot.

None of the strategies I have put in place to help with her anxiety are doing any good at all -feel like we are going round in circles.

I will be back later- thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now