Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Holidays

(11 Posts)
Rosebubbles Sun 26-Jun-11 17:12:19

Has anyone had any good experiences with holidays in this country? Having tried a few different types of holiday we have come to the conclusion that a hotel or a holiday cottage is best suited for my son. He needs somewhere to 'escape' to if things get too much. (We once went on a Haven holiday which was a total disaster as it was too noisy). Can anyone recommend any good holidays they have been on. smile

CQrrrnee Sun 26-Jun-11 19:09:08

centerparcs is good - no cars so they can charge about quite safely and make loads of noise

growlybear Sun 26-Jun-11 19:39:53

yep i second center parcs.you can choose a time to o swimming when its not too noisy like first thing in the morning and there is plenty of space and its safe,

smugtandemfeeder Sun 26-Jun-11 20:04:46

forest holidays was fab for us. cheaper than centerparcs and better accommodation. forest of dean has very new wooden chalets with underfloor heating and hot tubs.

wendihouse22 Mon 27-Jun-11 09:59:14

Oh good, Centerparcs right up ther then! Taking ds on August....never been before smile

geeandfeesmum Mon 27-Jun-11 16:05:02

Hi,

Just got back from Centerparcs with DD (3 and poss/prob ASD) and DS (4 and NT). It was good. We all had a good time DD loved the pony ride and Swimming etc. One mistake I did make though was thinking that she would be different to how she is at home. For one thing we had a patio with a BBQ and there were loads of animals and birds there. It was lovely and the kids thought it was wonderful. But, DD soon felt it would be more fun to run down to the open water. We eventually had to all go back inside because she couldn't just stay on the patio.

Every attempt to go out and eat was met with a meltdown. We attempted to eat at a restaurant with an outdoor play area, but there was no gate and she just kept running off. She even climbed out of the trailer on the back of the bike.

We managed one meal at a restaurant with an indoor play area. We spent the whole time looking to see if she was running out of the restaurant. In fairness to her she only tried to run out a couple of times. She did not eat.

She was fine on the journey there and didn't climb out of her carseat until we pulled onto centerparcs property. On the way back we had to pull over as she climbed out.

What I am trying to say is that we did have a wonderful time but I just thought she would be able to do these sorts of things. I am still trying to come to terms with the way things are and that we will just need to adapt to make things work.

We have another holiday to go on soon, this one will be abroad, all inclusive, no room service or self catering facilities. I honestly don't know whether to push on or cancel it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to handle this. We would need to eat out for every meal. I just don't see it working, but we are all looking forward to this holiday.

CQrrrnee Mon 27-Jun-11 16:27:14

my ds struggled with an all inclusive last year but it was still a good holiday as we were able to make it work. We ended up buying food in for him from a bakery and taking turns at sitting in with him whilst dp and ds2 went to eat/see the entertainment when he didn't want to go out. The good thing about all inclusive is that dh was able to bring drinks back to the room for me! I don't think there is a 'perfect' holiday. You just have to make the best you can of it really.

2old2beamum Mon 27-Jun-11 16:41:08

Concensus of all friends with DC's same crap different place! seriously we always go self catering. This year bonus of hot tub sadly no hoist (can't do grumpy face)

signandsmile Mon 27-Jun-11 18:17:52

I have to say haven camp at Devon Cliffs has been brill, but we don't go thru haven, go thru Newmans holidays (caravans on the site but private owners) and you can look at each individual caravan on the website and pick what suits.

some have verandas which are completely enclosed, so only accessed from one of the caravan doors, also you can pick where on the site you go.

We don't do any of the usual holiday camp stuff while there except for the pool which is not too busy, usually.

they have a good outdoor adventure play ground, and a beach on site, so you can walk down to beach and it is in a little cove so bordered by cliffs each side, so they can't run off. Also 10 mins out of exmouth, so huge beach that you can find a quieter spot on.

AlysWho Wed 29-Jun-11 09:17:25

Just found this site whilst looking for somethimng else online - holidays in France. Dont know anything about it but it looks 'well intentioned'... x

Eveiebaby Wed 29-Jun-11 21:00:22

Rose - I also think Centerparcs is good but kind of feel like a change so will google Forest Holidays - Thanks Smug

gee -I can't offer much advice we have always holidayed in this country so far and CentreParcs or holiday cottages have suited us well. I know what you mean about food as DD has a very restricted diet and would never eat the type of food served in restaurants. Would it be possible for you to take a supply of food for your DD?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now