Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Statementing for Home-Educated Child

(9 Posts)
MrsVictorUbogu Sun 26-Jun-11 00:58:15

I'm thinking of getting DS (7) statemented. He is home-educated, but needs SALT, physio, OT, etc. which I am struggling to get for him (appointments are delayed, patchy treatment, referrals lost, etc.)

Is it possible to get a statement which is just for those, or do they all have to contain educational aspects as well? I don't mind if it does have to include education, just that it would be me carry that out anyway, so would seem a bit pointless!

signandsmile Sun 26-Jun-11 13:25:05

I'm not sure a statement is what you need, the focus is education, the other things get in there if those things are taking place in the educational setting.

You might be better asking for a TAC meeting (Team around the child) ?

logi Sun 26-Jun-11 16:49:35

Hi i have been trying to get my child statemented and i have been told we could get him statemented as long as a teacher came to us each however we are being told he cant get a statement because hes not in a school .
An educational pyschologist is supose to be ringing me soon with regards to this.(I was told to ask for a visit because you need a report from EP to apply for statement)

Having said this we are probably not going to be bothering anymore this has been going on for a very long time.

MrsVictorUbogu Sun 26-Jun-11 18:35:55

Thanks for your replies.... signandsmile I've googled and that sounds much more suitable than a statement, thankyou.

logi I have always put it off because I thought it would be such a lot of effort and take a long time sad

mariamagdalena Sun 26-Jun-11 21:28:17

of course, you could always try registering him for flexi-school, with (perhaps) half a day a week on site so he can have these things in school...

MrsVictorUbogu Mon 27-Jun-11 14:07:36

I don't think he would cope with school, unless he was in a speech and language unit as he has a severe speech disorder. His speech therapist told me that the unit would not consider flexi-schooling. There is only one suitable in our LA (the others are either Welsh medium, or he is too old for them).

MrsVictorUbogu Mon 27-Jun-11 21:36:52

Been to speech therapy today, therapist has agreed to intensive assessment. She has also told me that none of the units in our LA would be suitable for DS as they are language units, rather than speech units and there is no provision made for someone with speech problems as severe as DS has sad

Agnesdipesto Mon 27-Jun-11 23:44:15

Read this. It suggests you can get a statement and home educate - if you cannot meet all the educational needs yourself but could with support then you can have a statement that provides for education otherwise than at school and I would assume OT etc can be specified if an educational need.
I think you could use this letter to argue for a statement

Becaroooo Tue 28-Jun-11 07:33:41

Have you tried posting on the HE boads??

They are very helpful and someone may have knowledge of this......


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: