Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Carers allowence?

(16 Posts)
JackTheNipper Sat 25-Jun-11 17:15:42

How many people can claim it for 1 child, someone I know has implied that both he and his partner (dc mum) claim carers allowence. is this right?
Also we don't claim it because I believe DH & I earn too much but was told to apply anyway, is there any point?

tiredoffightingwithjelly Sat 25-Jun-11 17:29:10

I think only one person can claim and the earnings limit os around £95-£100 per week.

JackTheNipper Sat 25-Jun-11 17:39:02

thanks I thought so, he was saying that he was the dc step-dad, then in the next breath he was her carer, and if anyone asks a live in carer? I just found it a bit confusing.

signandsmile Sat 25-Jun-11 17:46:34

yeah only get it once, (so if you are caring for more than one person you only get one lot, also need to be caring for a certain amount of hours, and earning diddly squat.) I care for dh and ds both get dla and would qualify me for CA, but my part time wages are two much. angry

JackTheNipper Sat 25-Jun-11 18:20:32

I look after ds we put in 3-4 hours a day physio etc, and I get nothing, looks like my PT job pays too much hmm shouldn't be means tested!

littlefirefly Sat 25-Jun-11 18:35:42

I get it for one child, I am a lone parent so nobody else could claim it anyway. But I'm pretty sure that only one person can claim it for each person. Maybe he was just saying that he was a carer in terms of responsibilities, but not actually claiming CA?

I get NI credits as well as part of CA, I wonder if it's possible to claim just for those, even if your income is too high to get payments (I know you can do that for JSA)? Child benefit NI credits run out when the youngest child is 12, so it's worth claiming CA for NI credits alone if you can.

You can subtract childcare costs from your salary, before it's assessed for the earnings limit, so you might find that brings you under the treshold. I think it's probably worth putting in a claim anyway, it's a very straightforward form (compared to DLA!) and they'll work out the figures for you.

hazeyjane Sat 25-Jun-11 18:38:12

It is for one person, and the earnings threshold is £90 per week.

JackTheNipper Sat 25-Jun-11 18:59:53

Thanks, maybe that is what he meant but just seemed a bit confused when he is saying he's her step dad, then a live in carer?
I don't know the family dynamics and I wasn't prying he just came out with this, I know they both don't work, (not judging) they both have medical issues which I suppose make working a bit difficult.
I might just give the CA form a go, but definatly earn more than £90 a week.

JackTheNipper Sat 25-Jun-11 19:00:39

DS dosen't go to nursery so can't claim anything back for him.

bdaonion Sat 25-Jun-11 23:39:06

If they both have medical issues it could be the case that the wife claims carer's for the husband and the husband claims carer's for the child. That's allowed - just because someone cliams carers for you doesn't mean you can't cliam carers for someone else if you see what I mean!

bdaonion Sat 25-Jun-11 23:39:28


unpa1dcar3r Sun 26-Jun-11 18:47:22

One person gets it for however many they care for. Well what I mean is if you care for more than one you can still only get it for one if your partner works or if you're alone etc...
You can earn up to £100 pw and must be caring for 35 hrs or more pw (easy done, just 5 hrs per night!) but they also make allowances for childcare and/or pension payments. Not sure how much allowance but it won't be a lot guarenteed.
I get it for elder boy but get sod all for younger DS even though he's incredibly hard work too. Husband works FT and earns over £100 pw.
Pensioners don't get it (it stops at pensionable age and they then get pension credit) and anyone in education cannot get it unless part time.
You can be disabled and caring and still get it if you meet the above criteria.

Did my dissertation on carers, (got a 1st!!!) because it was a subject so close to my heart so learnt a lot along the way.
You used to be able to get it in FT education as long as you didn't do more than 21 hours supervised study pw, but this changed on 23rd June last yr (I remember the date cos it's me birthday not cos I'm clever!) to any FT course even if you're only doing 12 hours supervised (which is pretty much what all FT course involve)

unpa1dcar3r Sun 26-Jun-11 18:49:06

Jack to clarify it might be worth you visiting the govt website. It is definately £100 pw not £90. It went up from £95 and before that I think it was about £84 or £86 pw. But now it's defo £100 pw.

DeWe Sun 26-Jun-11 19:06:06

I think my grandparents were told that my granny could claim for looking after my grandpa, and my grandpa could claim for looking after my granny. Actually it's not as silly as it sound because neither could have managed as well alone and would have needed carers in to help if alone.
They didn't claim as they felt it was a bit silly and they didn't need to. I think it was SS that told them they could though.

unpa1dcar3r Sun 26-Jun-11 19:42:10

SS were wrong Dewe if your grandparents are over pensionable age!
Hey that's not like the good Ol SS to get things wrong surely wink
They may have got pension credits but I don't know much about that. But they wouldn't have got CA.
It's wrong as they should, I mean if a lady looks afte rher husband for examplke of adult child, what are they supposed to do at that age, turn round and say OK I'm done, you're on your own now! Makes me so mad.

unpa1dcar3r Sun 26-Jun-11 19:42:43

oops too many typo's there, blame the vino!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: