Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Statement - IQ above 70

(15 Posts)
runningonmt Wed 22-Jun-11 23:22:22

Have been told today by a SN co-ordinator (who has extensive experience over the last 15 years) that if my DS has an IQ above 70-75 he will NOT get a statement for additional support at school.

This is very worrying as I feel he does need a statement but for SocEmot&Beh needs not for academic reasons (he is very bright and not failing academically).

I dont know what his IQ is but suspect it is prob quite high.

Has any one come across this before or is it an urban myth ?

Utter bollocks. smile
While my son has mod/severe learning diffs, several of my friends have children with high functioning ASD and VERY bright... and Statements..for their soc/emot/behavioural needs. Statements are NOT about IQ they are about needing additional support.

DOn't forget the SENCO is toeing the LEA line.... ignore and pursue the Statement!

Minx179 Wed 22-Jun-11 23:38:34

Agree with Medusa. DS has just got a statement his IQ was 120 at nine, he still has educational and social problems.

Eveiebaby Wed 22-Jun-11 23:45:27

Rubbish - my DD is bright and seems to be keeping on track academically so far- she is only five so it's early days but nevertheless. She has a diagnosis of ASD and is statemented for her social/communication needs (her expressive langugae is delayed and she needs a lot of support to enable her to practice direct interaction with her peers).

runningonmt Thu 23-Jun-11 00:14:56

Thank you lovely people - I am so relieved to hear this - It did sound very strange to me but you never can tell what reasons they use to withhold support in our cash strapped county at the moment.

Thanks to you all x

madwomanintheattic Thu 23-Jun-11 00:40:34

dd2 had an iq of 142 at 5 and a statement. grin

tis utter bolleaux.

asdx2 Thu 23-Jun-11 06:37:33

Rubbish! dd has a statement and has doen since before she was three her HT describes her as exceptional and the most intelligent child he has ever come across.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Thu 23-Jun-11 06:51:13

Yes. Total load of codswallop.

My children both have statements. The have autism but not below average IQ.

You must understand that these people will say anything if it means they can get out of putting in the money!

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 23-Jun-11 07:11:00

Yet another load of old codswallop trotted out to stop people applying, people whose children really need statements. The only criteria for a statement is need (certainly not IQ).

Don't listen to such nonsense and make the application yourself to the LEA, statements are not just for academic needs but can address social/communication problems as well.

humbugholder Thu 23-Jun-11 10:24:25

In a way there is some truth in what she is saying, in that an IQ of under 75 equates to a child with such severe learning difficulties/development delay a statement would be an absolute certainty. I know that was the case with my ds2, and that with him the process was pretty much done for me as there was never any question of him not getting a statement, as without one he wouldn't have been able to access education at all.

It is certainly not the be all and end all of obtaining a statement however, simply that it makes the process much easier. I have just received the proposed statement for my ds1. He has HFA, and I was told by every professional I came across that he would never be given a statement. Well I proved them wrong because I applied myself and got one. The process was more difficult, and I did the majority of the leg work myself, having to prove that his needs were extreme despite his intelligence. In fact his Gifted and Talented status was mentioned in his statement as it was considered that without additional support, this important part of his learning potential could be lost.

Go ahead and request Statutory Assessment yourself. Good luck.

PipinJo Thu 23-Jun-11 10:35:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Starchart Thu 23-Jun-11 10:38:58

My ds has a non-verbal reasoning IQ of 116. (verbal untestable) He got a very high statement.

Senco is talking out of her backside.

Starchart Thu 23-Jun-11 10:41:57

But if you wanted to play her, tell her that that is alright then because your ds fits that criteria.

She won't be able to deny it without an EP assessment and I can tell you there is no way she'll be using up her valuable EP hours getting them in to do it.

pigletmania Thu 23-Jun-11 11:59:01

Totally stills the Ed psych for dd said the same thing, the school has applied fir it due to dd social communication diff and speech and Lang delay, we have got approved to the next stage. Dd 4 is bright too

pigletmania Thu 23-Jun-11 12:00:05

Agggg my blooming I phone predictor text

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now