We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Legal Aid Reprieve for SEN?

(4 Posts)
Agnesdipesto Wed 22-Jun-11 20:39:21

Well it seems that cases involving SEN can keep legal aid under the proposed Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Bill - its taken away legal aid for all other education issues eg negligence, exclusions etc etc but anything under Part 4 Education Act 1996 (statementing basically)seems intact. Its not clear but it might even change to be in the name of the child not the parent so we would all get legal aid to challenge statements - still doesn't cover representation at Tribunal, just preparation, except looks like you might get advocacy at the Upper Tribunal if you have to appeal the first Tribunal

So why does this make me uneasy that they are going to hit us with something really nasty in the SEN White Paper? They wouldn't be making a concession unless they were going to claw it back somewhere else would they? Perhaps Part 4 of the Education Act will just disappear.
I am almost excited at the idea of getting expert reports on legal aid next time we have to go to tribunal.

StarChartEsq Wed 22-Jun-11 20:57:54

Aren't they simply going to get rid of statements though?

Agnesdipesto Wed 22-Jun-11 21:35:38

Well yes thats what I am thinking - will they say compulsory mediation but you get legal advice first

Starchart Wed 22-Jun-11 21:41:37

Who's going to cover the cost of compulsory mediation anyway? Charities?

Who is the mediation process for?

Not sure whether you got wind yet but we're appealing our proposed ammended statement and are boarding the tribunal bus again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now