Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

the senco has just adamantly told me..

(15 Posts)
cheeryface Wed 22-Jun-11 14:57:51

that ds2 could not have a statement without a diagnosis.

is that correct ?

LIZS Wed 22-Jun-11 15:00:54

No it's not but it may be easier with , depending on the problems.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 22-Jun-11 15:00:58

In a word, no.

cheeryface Wed 22-Jun-11 15:07:45

hmm i thought i had read that on here. doesnt fill me with hope ! first meeting i have had with senco. not saying i want a statement as yet but bit worried that she doesnt know what shes on about .

StarChartEsq Wed 22-Jun-11 15:09:31

To be fair the SENCO might not be lying. Her in-service training from your LA might have sold her the line. That's what ours are told anyhow.

or does it prove that she does know what she is talking about but doesn't want you to apply for a statement?

StarChartEsq Wed 22-Jun-11 15:10:16

And Cheery, from everything you have told us on here your ds is definately a statement candidate.

IndigoBell Wed 22-Jun-11 15:25:05

I think that most SENCOs just don't know the law. They haven't read the SEN-COP, just know what the LA has told them.

It doesn't necessarily means she's a bad SENCO.

The LA will have a doc about who they give statements to, which will disqualify almost everyone. And the SENCO believes that doc....

They're mostly just trying to do their job on inadequate training and inadequate funding.

The only way to know if you'll get a statement or not is to apply. And in the letter keep quoting the relevant parts of the SEN-COP.......

grin My "helpful" EP specifically not to quote bits of the code as it was more likely that they would turn you down [forced grin through gritted teeth]

oddgirl Wed 22-Jun-11 15:46:53

My "helpful" EP told me the on-line form was "too difficult" for me to fill in...as it just required my name & address, I didnt seem to find it as taxing as she suggested...wink

grin

c0rn551Lk Wed 22-Jun-11 16:16:58

no - support is meant to be based on need not dx
It's not up to her anyway - you can apply yourself

StarChartEsq Wed 22-Jun-11 16:37:55

eh? What on earth is that about? Turning you down if you use bits of the code?

I can see our LA doing that tbh, because they use tribunal as a way of rationing provision, so if you quote the code they might drag you through the longhaul process of tribunal at every stage to save themselves a year or so of provision.

Eveiebaby Wed 22-Jun-11 21:58:04

I'm not sure what the rules are but I don't think my DD would have a statement without her diagnosis. School did not look to gettting DD any extra help they were just taking a wait and see approach but on the day she received her diagnosis things moved pretty swiftly and 1:1 was in place for her start in reception.
Anyway, it might be worth suggesting to the SENCO that you are thinking of applying for a statement yourself.

Triggles Wed 22-Jun-11 22:53:39

DS2 got his statement without a diagnosis. Not necessary. It's based on needs, not diagnosis. If you have one, obviously, always handy to put it in grin, but they're not going to shoot you down in flames for not having one yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now