Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

how is dyspraxia diagnosed ?

(7 Posts)
cheeryface Wed 22-Jun-11 14:47:22

what assessments would need to be done ?

ds2 is seeing the psychologist next week for more assessments , they say they are looking at processing disorders.
what might happen ?
hes 12 btw

thanks

LIZS Wed 22-Jun-11 14:56:41

Paediatrician did the Griffiths test initially on ds, which rated his basic skills physically and mentally against an age related scale then OT did various tests (ie.ABC motor battery) to assess fine and gross motor skills - puzzles, matching patterns of blocks to diagrams, tying and untying knots, copying pictures, timed writing - reaction times, sensory issues etc. He was younger though, about 8/9 , so it may well differ for older kids. Each also took a history from me and asked specific questions related to development and the issues he presented.

I wonder if you might get a better picture of any processing problems from an EP at this stage tbh. You also need to think beyond a diagnosis, epsecially since Dyspraxia is a pretty broad term and can overlap other conditons, to get the specific problems addressed. Having a term for it won't do this in itself.

I had to complete a really detailed questionnaire for him called the Sensory Profile so that she could look at sensory processing disorder.

mum0fthree Thu 23-Jun-11 11:19:32

Hi, ds is 7 the paed assessed him as having immature FOGGs and referred him to Physio and OT. He now has weekly physio. They won't dx dyspraxia until he has ASD assessment in case his motor skill problems are due to that.

We also completed a sensory profile he scored highly on all areas, we have just been given some sheets with activities and calming techniques and left to get on with it.

Mumofthree

What are FOGGs?

mum0fthree Thu 23-Jun-11 13:10:51

I think it is being able to stand on the outside edge of your foot and keep your balance. I could be wrong though.

auntevil Thu 23-Jun-11 17:59:18

Age might be an issue here. OT said that my DS was only just in the age range for doing some diagnostic tests (already has dx dyspraxia as an umbrella - looking into sensory issues now as a specific). He is 8

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now