Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

hi , can i ask about dyspraxia please ?

(6 Posts)
cheeryface Tue 21-Jun-11 12:09:25

would a child with dyspraxia be able to ride a bike really well , bunnyhops etc and be great at karate ?

camhs say they are looking at some kind of processing disorder and mentioned dyspraxia.

also , we were told by the doctor who diagnosed ds2 epilepsy that he is hypotonic but we never knew and he was 9 then !
i could see he had odd thumb movement but we all laughed at his 'double jointed ' thumbs never thinking it could indicate anything blush

is it normal for that to never come to light before 9 ?

IndigoBell Tue 21-Jun-11 12:21:18

I'm not sure....

What's his handwriting like?

Can he tie shoelaces, do buttons etc?

(ie are his fine motor skills good?)

Can he swim?

It is very easy for dyspraxia not to be dx before 9. Probably common even smile

cheeryface Tue 21-Jun-11 12:30:33

yes he can swim , not brilliantly but we dont go swimming much as i cant swim ! ok with buttons and laces . handwriting not good.
he fits the bill for all the other stuff , like poor memory , poor organization etc
hes 12 now.

auntevil Tue 21-Jun-11 13:38:43

My DS can ride a bike fine - ish. His legs, after a lot of practise, can pedal fine. Steering is a completely different issue. I've always found his upper body to be more dyspraxic (? confused ) than his lower body.
Indigo is right re the fine motor skills. DS is 8 and still can't do buttons and laces.
Swimming he can do. He is behind his age as such, if you base it on how many years he has had lessons. But he can swim, not elegantly, and that was my main aim.

IndigoBell Tue 21-Jun-11 13:41:28

My personal take is that the actual dx doesn't matter. I believe that ASD / ADHD / Dyspraxia and Dyslexia are all caused by the same underlying problems....

And it is the underlying problems you need to be focussing on,and fixing, not the dx.....

It is easier if you get a nice clear cut dx easily. But if you don't, don't let that be a blocker to getting your son the help he needs......

Aero Tue 21-Jun-11 14:25:38

My dd has a dyspraxia/DCD dx - she can ride a bike and is currently doing well with karate. Her difficulties are more in her fine motor skills - writing is difficult and worsens as her had tires. She has trouble fitting pegs in holes, putting puzzle pieces together etc, even though she can see what it is she wants to do, her brain doesn't guide her hands to do it iyswim. She has difficulty with some buttons (cuff and collar esp), and can't manage her own hair (she's almost 11). She enjoys sport and is enthusiastic, but often is left out by her team-mates as she's just not as good as them. sad She has always seemed 'different' - DCD dx was only made this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now