Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

mobility part of dla

(4 Posts)
fabmum1966 Tue 21-Jun-11 07:49:39

Ds has autism , adhd and dyspraxia he gets highest rate for care element of dla and we use to be able to get highest rate mobilty. Last time we applied we were told we could only have low rate for mobility even though his needs have not changed. Is this part of goverment cuts has anyone else had this happen?

brandy77 Tue 21-Jun-11 08:18:13

gosh i dont know, my son gets hight rate care for medical probs, when diagnosed with ASD the ed psyche said to try for mobility, i didnt bother incase i lost the high rate care. Could it be that your son is older and they suddenly think he would have learnt how to behave properly!!! im being sarcastic of course smile, but knowing how these peoples brains work that want to hold money back

pinkorkid Tue 21-Jun-11 08:55:55

It's worth just ringing up or writing and asking them firstly for their reasons and secondly to reconsider. Depending on how experienced the person is making the decision, they sometimes get it wrong first time.

shazian Tue 21-Jun-11 09:26:10

my ds also has severe autism, and adhd, global developmental delay. he gets high rate care and high rate mobility, so i get mobility car. he is 10 and he gets harder to deal with the older he gets. if i didnt get mobility car i would be virtually housebound cos he wont go on bus he screams hits the windows lies on floor etc, so would be too stressful. i would phone and hopefully they change their decision. Another mum at my sons school had same problem as you, her son is quite similar to mine, she phoned and they wouldnt change their mind, so she took to appeal and won.Things are bad enough for us parents without fighting for things we cant do without. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now