Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Good news, bad timing. What can I do?

(6 Posts)
meagle Mon 20-Jun-11 21:41:49

Well, after being turned down for statutory assessment and all set for a tribunal, the LEA has suddenly agreed to assess - yay! But, we are moving out of the borough and changing DS's school in the next month (a move, partly provoked by DS hating his school and them not really doing much to help him). Does anyone know what will happen in this case? Will the new authority we go to be obliged to assess, or would we have to start the whole darn process again (not sure I have the energy and DS would probably be almost of the education system by then anyway). If our LEA started the assessment now, would they be obliged to finish it even though we have moved out the borough? I would really like the assessment to go ahead as our private Ed Psych report showed much DS has more serious problems that even I had guessed. Any info gratefully received. Thanks.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Tue 21-Jun-11 00:36:37

I think in your case if the SA hasn't started yet you probably would have to start from scratch in the new LA. If you had a statement the new LA would be obliged to honour it until they carried out their own assessment, if they chose to re-assess. Sorry.

meagle Tue 21-Jun-11 09:59:42

Hi EllenJane - damn, yes, I thought it might be the case. It just goes to show the importance of timing. DS's ASD, OCD, ADHD, diagnosis was given in July 2010, so it's taken a year to get an agreement to assess... oh well.
Do you know whether it's worth getting a statement for higher education, or do colleges / unis offer support without one?

EllenJaneisnotmyname Tue 21-Jun-11 19:50:45

Not got that far yet, DS2 is going to secondary in Sept. Might be worth asking the question in a thread title to attract those who know. I'd say it certainly would help to have a statement.

Agnesdipesto Tue 21-Jun-11 21:37:27

When are you moving? Could you transfer the appeal to the new LA without withdrawing it? There is something in COP about moving during an appeal - perhaps you could ask your LA not to concede the appeal but let the date stay until the new LA have agreed to assess.

meagle Tue 21-Jun-11 22:09:31

Agnes - thanks for that suggestion. I will pore over the COP now... would definitely prefer to keep the appeal going so I don't have to start from scratch with new LEA. We are moving in 3 weeks, and appeal was scheduled for October. The LEA has already writtent to the appeal court but said I have to do the same. Might try Parent Partnership and see what they say. They have been very supportive so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now