Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

If support from statement doesn't work can school ask LEA for more at any time?

(5 Posts)
Boboma Mon 20-Jun-11 21:08:02

My DD was at a reception induction hour today (I went with her since she can't talk) and I came away with a 'OMG' feeling! She was petrified, poor thing. My first thought was to try and defer reception to next year but I've slowly convinced myself that we'll get there if I start her off part time only going in the times that she has 1:1 (17.5hrs in statement). She can go part time all year if need be I guess. I then wondered if school are able to apply for more hours part way through the year if they need it? That would be a good option if it exists, but I don't know how hard that is or if it is allowed. Do hours change only at the time for annual review?
Sorry to be a novice. Thanks x

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Mon 20-Jun-11 21:28:28

I think it probably depends on your lea. Dd3s school managed to get more funding for her between finishing nursery and starting reception without too much fuss, so they certainly can ask, whether they get it or not is something else! If the school can't get extra just from asking, lea may say they have to fund the extra themselves, then you can always either ask for the statement to be amended at the next review or ask for an emergency review to get the statement amended, either way that should give you the route to appeal if the lea refuse.

pinkorkid Tue 21-Jun-11 00:01:30

What ninja said - the school can call an emergency review and you as a parent can also request an emergency review before the annual revies is due.

fabmum1966 Tue 21-Jun-11 16:47:44

When my son first got his statement he only got half time support this wasnt enough so school paid for the other half. At his annual review we got them to put fulltime support on his statment. It was a lot of messing about and we had to start proceedings to take it to tribunal but the day before
tribunal they said we could have it. You need to get it on the childs statement because when school pay for support they can take it away if they want.

Agnesdipesto Tue 21-Jun-11 21:32:49

Talk to the school. They may be thinking the same. Say you think 17.5 hours will not be enough and can they ask for more. If they won't or the LA say no or won't call a review you either have to wait for the annual review or can apply for a reassessment (in the same way you applied for an assessment), but a reassessment could take months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now