Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What can I do to try to ballance my daughters emotions?

(14 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Mon 20-Jun-11 20:01:02

Hi, she is 6 years old and has a developmental delay of approx 2 years. She's also being assessed for ASD.

Recently, she's finding it hard to control her emotions. She crys if she hears certain types of music, usually soft love songs or classical. She'll have tears down her cheeks and say "that reminds me od Daddy, I miss Daddy". This is when he's at work. She does get to see him for 3 full days a week and he's in the mornings and evenings for a short time. She is home educated, and my DH has days off durig the week.

She tends to go from really hyper, laughing hysterically, making silly noises and jumping about, to very quiet and emotional. There hasn't been any changes that I can think of.

This doesn't happen every day but is becomming more frequent. It's nearly always music that sets her off, but she loves music. It's her favourate thing of all time.

Should I not let her listen to this kind of music? She doesn't cry every time, I suppose it depends how she's feeling. She can easily go from laughing to crying at times.

Is there any way of keeping her on more even keel? I do feel sorry for her when she's upset as it definatly isn't in any way put on. I'll give her a cuddle and talk to her about it and try to re assure her. Is that all I can do?

mummyloveslucy Mon 20-Jun-11 20:04:03

Sorry about my spelling, etc, etc. I worked the last 2 nights and my brain just isn't in gear. (Well that's my excuse) blush

mummyloveslucy Mon 20-Jun-11 20:11:02

I've just thought it isn't only music. She gets upset looking at photographs of when she was a baby, or things she finds very sweet. She'll say "that's so sweet I could cry". Then she does. sad

mummyloveslucy Mon 20-Jun-11 20:21:10

bump

Chundle Mon 20-Jun-11 20:41:15

Hmm my dd is bit similar she is 7 and has ADHD and traits of AS. Maybe it's their age?? She will listen to Justin Bloody Bieber love songs in her room and burst into tears telling me she misses her nanny - who lives 4 hour away. If I so much as raise my voice she cries and says she misses her dad who works fulltime. I def think it may be their age. Thinking about it she has for better in recent weeks so maybe we are coming to the end of it - god I hope so!

Chundle Mon 20-Jun-11 20:43:17

My dd also cries at films floods and floods of tears!

mummyloveslucy Mon 20-Jun-11 20:52:31

Oh, well lets hope so. smile She crys at film too, especially if an animal dies or gets injured. We only let her watch U films, but even so they can be very sad.

I just feel so sad for her, I hate seing her so upset. I hope you're right and it's an age thing.

pedalpants Mon 20-Jun-11 20:54:35

I hve recently bought Oliver Sack's book Musicology which is all about the relationship between neurology and music.

haven't read it yet so can't advise but I think there is something very profound about music, especially for those who are not NT

mummyloveslucy Mon 20-Jun-11 20:57:24

That does sound very interesting! I'll have a look on amazon for that one. She absolutly loves music, but it's effect on her can be very profound.

mummyloveslucy Mon 20-Jun-11 21:19:47

my DH has just told me that this morning she was crying because she wasn't keen on the new book I'd bought her.
She said "I feel so sad because mummy spent her pennies on it and she works hard to get pennies. I feel sad for her". She also said "I try to like it, but I just don't". (Bless her)

pedalpants Tue 21-Jun-11 12:13:00

That's very sweet and very sophisticated!

merlincat Tue 21-Jun-11 13:07:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedalife Tue 21-Jun-11 16:19:04

Wow amazing empathy for a 6 yr old, even my 22 year old has never shown that kind of awarenessgrin.

she sounds like a very special little girlsmile

My Dd3[8] has little control over her emotions and really only has 2 happy and angry.

mummyloveslucy Tue 21-Jun-11 17:24:22

Thanks everyone. smile She is gorgeous! She's always been a very deep thinker and very in tune with how people are feeling. She always knows if I'm not feeling great, even though I try to hide it.

She may have her problems, but everyone who meets her loves her, she has such a sunny personality and will chat away to anyone. She's also very quick to help anyone who might need it. (weather they want her too or not sometimes) grin

I think her personality and attitude to life will hopefully see her through. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now