Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What happens in a Full speech assessment please?

(7 Posts)
brandy77 Mon 20-Jun-11 11:30:44

Been chasing up his referall, age 6, after being told there was a huge wait, understandably as there is only 1 therapist in my area. Anyway shes moved him to the top of the priority list, mainly because hes got a statement now and would have been out of school 9 months by the time he starts his new school.

His concentration/motivation is awful, therapist said it takes about 1 hour, just wondering what happens and how on earth she will keep him focused for longer than 2 minutes. Thanks smile

dolfrog Mon 20-Jun-11 11:52:27

Speech and Language Pathology is one of the widest areas of issues, trying to discover which of the many possible problems, could be the underlying cuase of an speech and language problem.
And having attention issues could be one of those issues which need to be identified as a possible cause of the his speech and language problems. All of these types of disabilities or development problems tend to be inter related.

brandy77 Mon 20-Jun-11 11:57:49

oh thanks dolfrog thats interesting, SALT is totally new to me, got lots to learn. So chasing the apt up was just as important as i thought then. Do they use toys and books or is it just verbal with the SALT to assess him? thanks smile

Triggles Mon 20-Jun-11 13:43:03

DS2 had a speech and language assessment. Unfortunately, it took forever to finish, as he could not sit and focus for more than a few minutes at a time. (Pretty sure the nice SALT was a bit greyer after she finally finished it!) It actually took a number of appointments plus a few school visits before they managed to get it all completed. blush

A lot of it was those flip things where they show them pictures and have them point to specific things (over under behind and such) and asking them questions about certain pictures that I believe should draw out a certain expected (within a scope, anyway) verbal response.

DS2 couldn't even do part of it as it was simply too complex for him to follow - he can't sequence and retain multiple directions, so she decided not to do that section for now.

brandy77 Mon 20-Jun-11 16:01:37

thanks triggles smile got a feeling my son will need more apts then! he never stays focused for more than a few minutes although he might be better if its pictures until he thinks hes got something wrong then he will refuse point blank to go further

Triggles Mon 20-Jun-11 20:45:25

the SALT never ever told DS2 his answer was wrong. She jotted down the answers, and gave him encouragement throughout.

brandy77 Tue 21-Jun-11 08:15:23

oh i know the SALT wouldnt tell him he had got anything wrong, its when the thought comes into sons head himself that hes got it wrong, then he shuts off. Hopefully it might be a good day when he has the assessment and he may surprise me and whizz through it happily smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now