Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Question re: Carer's allowance

(12 Posts)
Triggles Mon 20-Jun-11 07:54:21

I am not currently claiming this. Should I be? I understand it is reduced by other benefits, but I know I've seen somewhere that it contributes towards your pension benefits?? Is this correct?

If so, this would be the main reason I would claim it, as I imagine our other benefits would probably negate the money itself.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I've read the directgov site, and I know it says 55.55 per week, and that it affects other benefits. But that's really all the information I'm gleaning from it. (ok, could be a serious lack of caffeine yet this early in the morning) grin

I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the effort. I am a SAHM, if that makes a difference, so not working any other job.

Ben10isthespawnofthedevil Mon 20-Jun-11 08:03:58

It is based on your income alone so as a SAHM you would definitely qualify and it would be a nice extra amount every week for you. Go for it!

Triggles Mon 20-Jun-11 08:09:23

We get housing benefit and WTC/CTCs, so wouldn't it just be negated by that? Sorry, I feel so clueless about this stuff. blush

Do you know if it does pay in to keep your pension benefits up when you get older?

Ben10isthespawnofthedevil Mon 20-Jun-11 08:20:22

ah, the CA wouldn't be reduced but the WTC/CTC and HB might be affected by claiming it as it is counted as income. I guess it depends how close to the thresholds you are. You could have a look at and run the figures though to see what difference it makes to your other benefits.

this indicates that you earn NI contributions towards your state pension from carers allowance.

growlybear Mon 20-Jun-11 08:41:43

I am a sahm due to caring role.We get wtc and get careres allowance.If i was you i would go for it you have nothing to lose.

Triggles Mon 20-Jun-11 10:30:15

Thanks. I will look into it. More paperwork. LOL The joy, eh? grin

bdaonion Mon 20-Jun-11 12:53:59

It does impact on HB and the like, but they only consider a proportion of it. So all the different benefits/credits get adjusted accordingly, but overall you are better off. Proabably about £25 a week rather than the £55 but better than nothing smile

Triggles Mon 20-Jun-11 13:35:03

bdaonion - thank you - that does help !

littlefirefly Mon 20-Jun-11 15:36:24

You get HRP to cover your pension if you get CA. You only get HRP with child benefit now up to age 12, so it's worth claiming just for that.

I found that all my overall benefits went up when I claimed DLA and CA, although I am on income support as a lone parent so different situation.

Have you told tax credits that your child is getting DLA (am assuming you get MRC or HRC to be able to claim CA?). You can get a disability premium on CTC payments once your child is awarded DLA, though it's still means-tested according to your DH's income.

starfishmummy Mon 20-Jun-11 15:39:31

To answer the bit about pension benefits. If you get carers allowance a national insurance contribution is credited to you, which will count towards the total for your old age pension. Howver if you are the person who is getting Child Benefit for your children then you are covered for this anyway/

littlefirefly Mon 20-Jun-11 15:44:27

But you only get the credits for child benefit until the youngerst child is aged 12, so once your child is a teenager you'll lose those credits if you're not getting Carer's.

eatyourveg Mon 20-Jun-11 15:57:48

you have to be caring for someone getting middle or higher rate dla too

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: