Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

dla, care & mobility.

(10 Posts)
Calally Sun 19-Jun-11 11:03:19

just wondering is it possible to have middle rate care and high rate mobility? ds doesnt qualify for high rate care, as he sleeps at night ( eventually, even though he's in my room, as he wont sleep in his own room ) but he possibly qualifies for high rate care. but it says on the website, high rate mobility if the child has severe learning disability and on high rate care. he has a severe learning disability ( waiting assessment for autism )

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 19-Jun-11 11:35:50

It's very hard to get high rate mobility for any disability that doesn't make you completely immobile. I know it should be possible to get it for severe learning disability when someone cannot be made to understand that they should move, during a meltdown etc, but I've not heard of many people getting it. My DS had high rate care when he was 5 but we didn't get mobility at all. He now has MRC and LRM. How old is your DS?

Calally Sun 19-Jun-11 11:45:53

hes 5. he's having more meltdowns. waiting on a maclaren major pram coming. he's so slow at walking, needs prompted, and is more frequently throwing himself on the ground and refusing to walk etc.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 19-Jun-11 12:00:58

We had very similar behaviour at 5 and got no mobility. We worded it better at his 10 yo review and got LRM. You need to make it clear that he doesn't just refuse to move, he's unable to understand or follow instructions when he's having a meltdown, to ensure he doesn't sound like a NT child having a tantrum. He is completely unaware of danger and will run into moving traffic unless phyically restrained and is unable to understand 'stop.' You have to make it clear that he is very different from an average child of the same age, he's not just a bit naughty, he's actually unable to comply or understand due to his disability. He's too big to lift or carry, etc. Good luck!

Calally Sun 19-Jun-11 12:05:40

thanks. sounds like im going to need it. a guy from citizens advice is gonna fill the forms in for me.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 19-Jun-11 12:09:23

That's great. Make sure it's worded similarly to above. I thought I'd made it really clear when DS was 5 but still got no mobility. Good luck.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Sun 19-Jun-11 13:28:34

dd3 gets mrc and hrm so it is possible, she doesn't have asd though so I'm no help with the form filling.

Davros Sun 19-Jun-11 15:39:09

I know lots of people, inc my own DS, who get hr mobility without any mobility issue iyswim. Not at age 5 though, I think we got it when he was nearer to 7. I'm not sure about middle rate care with hr mobility though. There is a clause in the criteria that covers behavioural difficulties, you may need to point it out though as many DLA staff do not know their own rules. I'm sure the NAS website has guidance on this and I've posted it many times in the past. Sorry to be lazy, try searching past messages on MN. Good luck.

Triggles Sun 19-Jun-11 18:44:19

Yep. DS2 qualifies for the mobility, but I can't deal with filling out the forms again. LOL We're still mulling it over.

Calally Sun 19-Jun-11 19:33:23

ive attempted bits of the form. not as bad as the original. sw put me in touch with the carers centre for help filling it in. or my local citizens advice. so im just gonna tell them, and someones gonna fill it in for me. lazy i no, but they know how these things work lol

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: