Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Statementing.....14 year old....any experience?

(8 Posts)
sarah876 Sat 18-Jun-11 18:30:47

My son was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome at the age of eleven, of recent his behaviour towards anyone trying to tell him what to do is to do as he pleases.
We have got to the stage that now he refuses to go to school at all which is causing so many problems. My son does not see the point of school and will not engage in certain lessons especially if he has no interest in that subject.
He is very much a teenager and some of this behaviour can be put down to this but the problem is he can not think realistically about his future.
The only way I know how my son works best is to have someone prompting him to do his work and that also he needs to follow an alternative curriculum. Everything the school has set into place to help my son has failed (they have done alot! )
I have decided to try for statementing, not sure really what this is but I know he'll get extra help, the problem is , is he to old? Will they think that he has managed so far so why statement him now? He really does need something doing before his education is completely screwed.....any advice?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 18-Jun-11 20:15:25

He's not too old.

Have school/SENCO said anything re statementing?. Get the ball rolling yourself anyway.

You can apply for the statement yourself, the first task is to get the LEA to agree to assess. They may well refuse your request, if this happens you must appeal their crass decision.

IPSEA's website has model letters you can use www.ipsea.org.uk

It takes around six months plus however, to get such a document set up so it won't be in place for the start of his new academic year in September.

You are his best - and only - advocate.

Minx179 Sat 18-Jun-11 23:01:38

He's not too old. Is he year 9 or 10?

sarah876 Sun 19-Jun-11 08:02:13

He is in year 9......the special needs teacher has started the statementing process

pinkorkid Sun 19-Jun-11 11:58:49

My son got his statement only half way through year 8 so not that far behind yours. Also bear in mind that your ds will be eligible for and benefit from support during further education and job hunting/placements in the future too. It is very typical for children with asd to cope up to an extent in the relatively familiar setting of primary school but to hit greater problems at secondary school level with the added impact of adolescence. It's a good sign that the senco has recognised the problem and will be supporting your application. If you start now you should have statement in place for most of his gcse course.

TheDuckster Sun 19-Jun-11 19:28:09

Seeking a statement is certainly worthwhile. But even if that doesn't work out don't despair because things may still work out OK.

My DD did not get on at school at all - we ended up taking her out in the end. She couldn't 'see the point' in school at all and came out without any qualifications.

Eventually she decided that she wanted to go to college where she did her GCSEs and A' levels. She did this by (her) choice and seemed to get on far better in the college environment than she ever did at school.

She is now at university.

WetAugust Sun 19-Jun-11 19:54:30

My son received his final statement 2 weeks before his 16th birthday.

If they try to tell you your son is too old for one / wouldn't get the benefit so late in his school life etc - ignore them.

There are benefits in having a Statement quite apart from obtaining the right support he requires at school: the statementing process will reveal the actual help he needs and not what everyone is guessing will work and with a Statement Connexions must asssit him until age 25.

Statements are not awarded after age age 16 so you need to get this underway very quickly. Once you have a Statement it remains in force until the child leaves school as late as age 19 but would cease if he left school to go to FE College.

You may find the LA drag their heels over the Statement hoping your son reaches age 16 before the process completes - so you need to keep a strict eye on tghe timelines to ensure you receive it.

Best wishes

sarah876 Mon 20-Jun-11 10:09:02

Thank you for you replys x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now