Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Chill out space for Aspie boy at school

(17 Posts)
Wrigglystar Fri 17-Jun-11 19:59:38

Hi All, I'm a long term lurker as I'm always wary of posting anything, after a bad experience on another forum but I'd love any advice on this:
My DS is 6, has Aspergers and is about to go into the second year of school. The school, which is tiny, is moving into a new building. They are really keen to get the environment right for my DS which is great. We have chatted a lot about a quiet space where he can go and they are willing to hear our ideas. I'd love to hear any thing that's worked for your kids. It will be a space or corner in a large room. We've talked about a pop-up tent which is a cheap option but I think not sturdy enough (I can just imagine him rolling around the room inside it!). I feel like this is my chance to get it right - he has really struggled this year.
Any ideas?

unfitmother Fri 17-Jun-11 20:02:43

DS was told to use the sofa outside the office as a refuge, at least the staff could see him.

Goblinchild Fri 17-Jun-11 20:08:09

Corner, blocked off with a heavy drape from the wall, over a pole and dropped down, and a beanbag to slump on inside it.
That's one safe space I rigged for a child a few years ago. It was next to a window, but we put translucent paper over it.
What does he do at home when he's stressed?
My Aspie used to crawl under his bed.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 17-Jun-11 20:29:00

Pop up tent definitely at risk from rolling child! That's all mine ever did inside them! Goblin's idea sounds good, a comfy corner or alcove safely screened off, with some theraputty or whatever rocks his boat as a stress reliever.

Wrigglystar Sat 18-Jun-11 09:03:03

Thanks I like that idea Goblinchild.
At home it's enough to shut the door to his room and read the dictionary/ instruction manuals or whatever his current thing is. I guess we could put some of them inside the space.
Glad to know my intuition about pop up tent is right!

lisad123 Sat 18-Jun-11 10:08:53

We have one of these for DD1 here

We have a weighted blanket in there a few pillows and tangle toys. HTH

chuckeyegg Sat 18-Jun-11 12:08:14

Lisad123 that looks great, did you buy it for the school? Is it used by her exclusively?

Ineedalife Sat 18-Jun-11 12:33:39

Our local Toy library has one of those safe space things that lisad mentioned.

Maybe you could try to borrow one to see if it is sturdy enough/big enough for your Ds.

Just a thought.smile.

chuckeyegg Sat 18-Jun-11 12:56:16

Yes he is quite big, I know they don't have one at our toy library. Thanks Indeedalife.

smileANDwave2000 Sat 18-Jun-11 14:56:58

our dcs last school had a small room for my dc with soft lighting and cushions (no toys or it becomes a place used to get out of lessons they dont like) but they did this and have decided to use it not just for dc but any child whos upset and needs some time out and im sure over the years dc wont be the only child needing it.

Wrigglystar Sat 18-Jun-11 16:24:57

That looks great LisaD, might be a bit small for my DS. DH has suggested making one similar but bigger, I wont stand in his way!

Thanks for all suggestions

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 18-Jun-11 16:46:16

Wriggly

Slightly different tack here.

Does your DS have a Statement in place re school?.

If not I would apply to the LEA for such a document asap.

Wrigglystar Sat 18-Jun-11 17:42:42

Thanks Attila, we're in Scotland so it's a different system, he does have an IEP though.

lisad123 Sat 18-Jun-11 20:51:33

its quite large, my dd1 is 8 years old and she and her 3 year old sister both fit in smile

lewisk Thu 18-Aug-11 08:31:13

Hiya. We have found tangle toys to be very calming - we get our's from:
www.greatlittlerewards.co.uk/tangles_s/87.htm and they've worked really well at distracting and calming our son. Don't know if this is useful?

Swiddle Thu 18-Aug-11 11:40:18

Hi - for my AS ds, blocking out sound can help at stressful times. A soundproof room would probably be inappropriate, but maybe some headphones or ear shields could be added to the quiet corner, for extra peace.

coff33pot Thu 18-Aug-11 12:54:35

Our DS infant school bought him a pop up tent and it was a disaster. He has tents at home for playing in so it didnt work. Plus it was put in the main hall throughfare which is still not quiet. Also other kids want to play in it and he became angry as they keep on sticking their heads in. They tried the corner of the class room but that was a no go because he could still here the chaos in the class. DS wanted the cupboard (large walk in space) with a door on it and light inside. So if they have a cupboard large enough in their new place perhaps painting blackout paint and UV lighting in that would be good enough with some UV flourescent fixtures or wall shapes might help, and some soft cushions on the floor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now