Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is this bloke for real? A MUST read...

(24 Posts)
unpa1dcar3r Fri 17-Jun-11 18:34:41

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/fury-mp-says-disabled-less-145735024.html

Personally to turn his theory on its head why not pay them double cos it takes them so much more effort to do a lot of things anyway and they have to try so much harder!

brandy77 Fri 17-Jun-11 18:39:33

havent looked at the link but got the news on about the tory bloke saying people with LD should be paid lower, im guessing thats what the links about,absolute idiot that needs a good slap!

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 17-Jun-11 18:40:34

OMG. The evil logic of this man!

unpa1dcar3r Fri 17-Jun-11 18:43:00

I read it and it is clear he sufferes with 'head up the arse syndrome'. Maybe he should get that diagnosed and then he too can work for less than minimum wage!!!!!!

direlahere Fri 17-Jun-11 18:54:00

Just seen this on the news, what a plonker, lets set equality back as far as we can, he's probably voicing what a lot of his colleagues think, shame on him/them.

unpa1dcar3r Fri 17-Jun-11 19:24:18

I know most disabled people speak more sense than this jumped up pri*k. Grrrr can't believe he got air time.
Wonder the outcry if he'd suggested immigrants should work for less (I know many do illegally but not the same as making it legal)
Can you all imagine the race relations board would hound him to death.
But it's ok as usual to say things like this about disabled people eh!

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Fri 17-Jun-11 19:46:09

working link here

"Philip Davies claimed "vulnerable" people were disadvantaged in the workplace because they had to compete with able-bodied candidates for jobs, but could not offer to accept lower wages."

and erm . . . why the hell should people with disabilities work for less?! May be he'd like to work for less.

direlahere Fri 17-Jun-11 20:31:39

He's an MP - shouldn't think he knows what "WORK" is! Should think he knows even less about being disadvantage given his ill judged comments.

rebl Fri 17-Jun-11 20:34:11

How did I guess that this was about that plonker MP. They haven't got a clue and quite frankly its discrimatory and yet again picking on those who can't defend themselves so easily. Makes me sick.

unpa1dcar3r Fri 17-Jun-11 21:24:33

Someone suggested a facebook petition to get him out...If anyone has any idea how to do that I'll sign it.

wendihouse22 Sat 18-Jun-11 23:39:37

I'll sign it. How can someone so forlornly out of touch be in a position of power and influence. Fuck me, he should sacked.

unpa1dcar3r Sun 19-Jun-11 08:58:45

Someone said if they earn less to better enable them to be accepted in the work place and sometimes do the job slower then surely it figures they should pay less for pterol if they can't drive (and rely on a driver), less for clothing if they take longer to get dressed, less for food if they take longer to eat and/or prepare a meal etc...
Makes a smuch sense to me!

saintfranksdisco Sun 19-Jun-11 10:35:08

I think he needs to reduce his fat salary to below the minimum wage due to the size of his pea brain? Seriously what planet is this man on???

Calally Sun 19-Jun-11 11:09:38

these fat cat mps need to think before they speak. on what planet does he think this would be acceptable. he prob doesnt even no how much minimum wage is. has there been any outrage at him for this? probably not, as it seems it acceptable to insult disabled people. be different if it was the elderly or the foreigners. its a disgrace!!!

dolfrog Sun 19-Jun-11 11:38:22

Facebook disability petitions can look something like this

dolfrog Sun 19-Jun-11 11:41:23

The real issue is that he is voicing the reality from many employers about how they view employing the disabled if at all. They are the people who fund his political party.

Calally Sun 19-Jun-11 11:51:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Calally Sun 19-Jun-11 11:55:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 19-Jun-11 12:11:52

Calally, you can report your own post with the button saying 'report' in the bar just above your post on the RHS, but your next post explains it well enough, I think. smile

direlahere Sun 19-Jun-11 12:39:56

I completely agree with dolfrog and have come accross a Scope tweet today suggesting that the red tape challenge is lookig at the equality act to see if it is really needed.

I went to the link and the govenment are saying they are "opening up debate" about whether the equality act is burdonsome. Umm wonder what the agenda could be?

Anyone who wants to contribute can follow this link (sorry no idea how to make it clicky).

http://www.redtapechallenge.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/themehome/equalities-act/

Haven't heard much about this elsewhere and would have thought if you wanted to open up debate, you would publicise the fact?

BakeliteBelle Sun 19-Jun-11 16:59:27

I don't trust this government to be acting in the best interests of disabled people, however, how do we get people with learning disabilties into jobs whose disabilities mean they cannot do the job as quickly or efficiently as a non-learning disabled person?

I know that most disabled people are just as capable as the next non-disabled person and I believe there is research that demonstrates a higher level of commitment to a job from many disabled people and exceptional skills from some people with ASC in certain jobs. The barrier to many disabled people getting work is simply prejudice and access issues.

BUT, what happens to those who need a meaningful occupation and who cannot compete equally in the job market? Do we just view them as an inconvenience to the dogma of inclusion which says we are all able to be equal in the job market (when we are obviously not)? Do they have to remain volunteers for ever? Or spending their days in day centres or drinking coffee with care workers because they lack any meaningful occupation?

How do we make work accessible to people with learning disabilities?

tiredoffightingwithjelly Sun 19-Jun-11 21:06:02

Hi Bakelitebelle, good question, I imagine some would say that personal budgets are the route to meaningful daytime activity but I am not so sure this is working for huge numbers of people but am sure it is working for some.

I do feel that removing of any elements of the equality laws can only be a backward step though and will not be to the benefit of disabled people.

unpa1dcar3r Mon 20-Jun-11 07:03:12

The only way would be to get rid of predujice and that aint gonna happen. I have a young friend met at uni, severely aspie, got a degree, clearly highly intelligent...can't get work, only couple of mornings in local hosp volunteering. Such a waste of his abilities.
There are a couple of places here who deliberately take on disabled people, mostly with down syndrome, but otherwise it is a dilemma, and not helped by twits like this one with his comments. I mean the chances are even with less than minimum wage our SLD people won't get taken on so he's talking from his arse anyway.

wendihouse22 Mon 20-Jun-11 09:44:21

That's a story I've heard many times unpaid...... It's a disgrace. I look at my son, who's clever in lots of ways and wonder, will he have a life of never fitting in? He's ASD...OCD. And Tourettes. He's 10.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now