Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ds will be allowed to repeat reception! Am stunned!

(10 Posts)
emkana Wed 15-Jun-11 17:43:45

This is what I wanted all along... Now the school has said yes I'm scared! Worried that he will miss the friends he made this year. And whether there will be problems later on, in going up to secondary.

IndigoBell Wed 15-Jun-11 17:53:07

Well done! No, I'm sure it's a good thing for him....

Don't worry about secondary now - probably the only thing you can count on is there will be problems going up to secondary - it's what the problems are that will surprise you grin

TotalChaos Wed 15-Jun-11 18:13:12

good news! Might be worth trying to get something in writing from LEA re:secondary school (don't know if you have you ed psych backing repeating reception, if so that could be handy)

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 15-Jun-11 19:30:08

That's fantastic. Sometimes that extra year can make all the difference. Make sure it's for all of primary. You don't want them moving him up 2 years later on. I know of quite a few children who are a year behind and there doesn't seem to be any problem going up to secondary (a year late) in our LA. smile

lingle Wed 15-Jun-11 20:25:55

ooh congratulations! my son is doing reception a year "late" (at the ripe old age of 5!) and it has transformed his life chances.

ouryve Wed 15-Jun-11 20:34:49

That's great!

DS2 isn't entirely repeating reception, but will be dividing his time between next year's tiny reception class and his current large class, hopefully spending more time with his age cohort as the year progresses. There's a couple of other kids in his class who the head wants to do the same with.

Galena Wed 15-Jun-11 21:24:40

Oh fantastic! So happy to hear this! I hope it gives him the chance to consolidate the basics and build up his stamina for school.

Let us know how he gets on!

emkana Wed 15-Jun-11 22:00:43

Feeling more and more happy about it, have talked to ds and he seems okay about being with different children.

coff33pot Wed 15-Jun-11 23:49:39

Glad you are happy and its all working out! smile

Congratulations emkana,it could well mean all the difference.

I got similar news yesterday, when in the TAC I was saying to the SENCo how much I felt being held back a year would benefit my ds (now end of yr 4), but how I knew it'd never happen, and she stunned me by saying it may well be an option that we can consider this time next year (so he would repeat yr 5, then carry on a year behind his age) if it is still needed at that point. As he is in a split class with the year below at present, and has been since starting this school 2 years ago, he won't even be with different children.

Anyway, back to topic - well done, and if you don't mind, could you update with how he gets on? I will be watching with interest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now