Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

'Triple P' parenting course

(8 Posts)
26minutes Wed 15-Jun-11 13:01:23

Does anybody have any experience of this? CAMHS have been offering me this for ds2 for some time but as I've been on countless other parenting courses, discussions, workshops etc I've felt as though there's not much point. After having a seriously bad afternoon with him yesterday I contacted CAMHS again to try to get some proper help and she again offered me this. I've accepted as I'm deperate to get some support from GP and a referral to paed from them for him and feel that if I do it, even if it's useless at least I can say I've taken the help offered.

How is this different/better than other parenting courses? I've looked at their website and it's got my back up straight away with quotes such as "Whether you’re the parent of a tantrum throwing toddler" and "you’ve come to Triple P for help with a specific problem, like tantrums or sleeping, bullying or teenage withdrawal".

Also their 'Top 10 tips' page looks as though I'll go on the course and all they'll be doing is trying to teach me to suck eggs.

If anyones done this course and can tell me what we will actually be doing on it and if it really will be of any benefit that would be great. Thanks

IndigoBell Wed 15-Jun-11 13:24:47

I think there is also a version of the course for parents of kids with SN.....

I have resisted doing it, but you are right that it allows you to say you've taken the help offered. And if you get to go on a SN one, you might meet some other local Mums in the same position as you?

26minutes Wed 15-Jun-11 13:46:15

Hopefully she will arrange for the SN one for us then. We have also thought that there may be others there in the same position as us so would be good to meet others in the same boat.

bigbluebus Wed 15-Jun-11 14:54:30

I did one of these courses a couple of years ago when it was offered by Parent Partnership to parents of children with ASD & related conditions. I did the teenage one even though DS was not quite 13 as he is HF & manipulative & the course for younger children seemed irrelevant to me.
It didn't really teach anything that I didn't already know so if you've been on other behaviour management courses you may well feel it's 'teaching you to suck eggs'
DS refused to comply with 'yet another reward chart/system' as he had already had a lifetime of them - so didn't really work for us.
Was good to meet up with other parents with similar difficulties - or worse as it is good to realise that you are not the only one with a child with problems, to share ideas about what has/hasn't worked and to be in a room full of people who don't judge you and imply that your child's problems are down to poor parenting.

devientenigma Wed 15-Jun-11 15:30:03

Iv'e done triple P and for my situation and child, it was useless. Teach me to suck eggs as well as opened the trainers eyes to other outcomes and possiblities. I was also in a situation where I could give advice to help with the children in a fun way as well as discipline, to the other parents and service givers. I have heard though since doing this course they have added a special needs element.
I agree do the course to say, well Iv'e been there done that. I don't know what the issues are as to why you are trying yet another parent course, however I have done this if it's any use.

utah Wed 15-Jun-11 15:31:09

If anything it will be a tick in the box esp when they try to throw the issues back to you. The parents I know who have done it and enjoyed it were the ones with small children but those who have older kids thought it was a waste of time. I do the courses they throw at me to show I am proactive when in reality I go for the coffee.

devientenigma Wed 15-Jun-11 15:48:50

oh and any nibbles, esp if it's a meal in a hotel or conference centre wink

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 15-Jun-11 15:56:58

Blimey, just read their top ten tips! No wonder you are dubious! How old is your DS? I went on the Earlybird course for parents of pre school children with ASD and the networking with other parents was the most useful aspect. If it's a SN specific course it may be useful for that aspect as well as ticking the box.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: