Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

My daughter is killing me.

(10 Posts)
merlincat Wed 15-Jun-11 11:03:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Al1son Wed 15-Jun-11 11:25:37

((((HUGS))))

I have a 14 year old with AS so know where you're coming from.

Is your DD really likely to risk all these things going wrong because she can't be bothered to sort herself out or is it more likely that the extra stress of exams has overloaded her and she simply can't manage it all herself?

I think I would be having a word with the SENCo and asking them to do a daily check with your DD to make sure she's aware of what she should be doing and when.

It is hard once they get to this age because there are no systems for keeping parents informed and the onus is on the child to organise herself which isn't always realistic.

I hope you have a better evening than you've had morning today.

utah Wed 15-Jun-11 11:48:25

could any of this be her fear of exams or her fear of failure so she is actually sabotaging her exams and may herself not even know she is doing this. Hoping it gets better/easier.

TheDuckster Wed 15-Jun-11 11:48:54

This is definitely her AS. Executive function (planning/organising etc) is a weakness.

My daughter (22), who has AS, is at university - in her second year. She can be every bit as disorganised as your daughter. She always has been.

Having an organiser/calendar (Google) on her android phone has helped a little. But I have come to the conclusion that she will never be great with planning/organising etc.

I know only too well how frustrating it can be.

BakeliteBelle Wed 15-Jun-11 12:29:48

Well, I have a 19 year old who was constantly disorganised at school - missing things, forgetting everything, no planning etc. She is NT - but one teacher suggested she might have ADD (without the H). I bought her a filofax to organise stuff but she is too disorganised to write in it.

I was exactly the same and have to work really really hard to keep organised and I do wonder if I have some attention deficit issues.

Whatever it is about, it is frustrating and leads to low self-esteem for the young person as they are always in trouble and failing to do things. I remember that feeling very well!! Maybe TheDuckster is right and technology will help

merlincat Wed 15-Jun-11 13:07:43

TheDuckster Wed 15-Jun-11 13:21:10

merlincat

Would you mind if I sent you a Private Message (PM)? Something you said in your last message suggests that you might actually be able to give me some advice regarding my daughter. I would prefer not to discuss on open forum.

merlincat Wed 15-Jun-11 14:16:30

borderslass Wed 15-Jun-11 14:21:52

I don't know if this is available but were in Scotland and DD2 15 ADHD hopelessly disorganised downloaded a personal exam timetable for her standard grades for herself I also marked all her exams on the calender so I could remind her. This was for her finals so could be something to help her when they come around.

TheDuckster Wed 15-Jun-11 14:46:39

merlincat

Thank you very much - I have sent the PM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now