Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

our dx letter came today

(14 Posts)
eandz Tue 14-Jun-11 23:13:38

firstly, I just got another letter in the mail (the same as the previous) without two things. 1. there was no signature by the doctor; and 2. now they don't feel they need to do ados.

do I need an ados appointment? what are the reasons behind it? should i ask for one? they definitely feel that he is asd.

brandy77 Wed 15-Jun-11 09:15:14

my son was diagnosed without an ADOS, perhaps children that have more obvious symptons do not require it? havent got a clue. the only part of the paeds letter on my sons diagnosis that was not just repeated stuff i had said was her 4 line conclusion hmm. Reading that 4 lines made me feel quite sad really, its horrible reading about your kids isnt it. Perhaps give them a ring if you have questions, ive always been quite forward with chasing people up or you can ignore my morning waffle and hopefully someone else more helpful will reply grin

TotalChaos Wed 15-Jun-11 09:22:01

if they've put it in writing that he's got ASD then don't think you desperately need an ADOS. since you've already got a diagnosis, ADOS in this case would look at how far along the spectrum he seems to be, whereas your boy is so young that there's so much scope for change/improvement. I would defo phone up though, as if this is main diagnosis letter then some one in the future might nitpick if it's not signed. I would also ask about future review arrangements by the doctor.

lisad123 Wed 15-Jun-11 09:24:15

ADOS isn't needed if they have enough evidence of ASD and have some idea of what area eg: classic autism, autism, high functioning, asbergers ect

utah Wed 15-Jun-11 09:28:27

my son was dx at three by the paed alone (after 3 appointments), I asked about the testing but he had no doubt using the triad of impairment he was clearly autistic. I asked about would he need further testing and he said if I wanted more detailed report when my son is six i could start pushing for a test for when he is seven, but tbh I agreed with paed why put my son through this.

eandz Wed 15-Jun-11 09:50:55

Okay, that does make more sense. Thank you ladies smile

blueShark Wed 15-Jun-11 12:37:21

DS was dx without ados last year on NHS but passed it in a private clinic that did a holistic review few weeks ago.

Was the dx given without good/inadequate multidisciplinary observation he had for 7 months (even there it states speech as primary concern to address) or was the VB, RRT, Sensory integration and all the hard work I put the last year that helped him pass - I will never find out I guess.

eandz Wed 15-Jun-11 12:50:48

blueshark
I don't know, but I do know you are fantastic with your little ones. smile

blueShark Wed 15-Jun-11 13:29:29

awwww thanks eandz, it makes a difference to the comments I get from my in laws and some friends 'I told you he will catch up with time, let the child enjoy enjoy his childhood'.

IndigoBell Wed 15-Jun-11 13:42:12

BlueShark - I know what you mean! When they make progress you want people to acknowledge it's because of all the bloody hard work we did, and not just because 'he caught up in his own time' smile

eandz Wed 15-Jun-11 13:42:41

I'm sure your friends and inlaws are trying to be in denial, everyone who cares for you also care for your loved ones, so everyone tries to rationalize everything.

Having said that, My mother in law says it's because I'm not interested enough in N's needs. She believes he will catch up when he's around boys with 'normal' mothers.

Although, she herself wasn't a 'normal' mother and my DH was just as controlling as N when he was this age. Maybe she's gotten too old and has forgotten.

I do have one friend, who thinks that Noah will be fine after extra playdates with her son, who happens to be gifted. I know she isn't trying to show off, but it is hard not to compare.

bdaonion Wed 15-Jun-11 17:12:57

Can you ask your MIL to define a 'normal' mother because I would love to hear that one?

nicevideoshameaboutthesong Wed 15-Jun-11 17:24:10

Neither of my girls have ever had an ADOS. Both have HF autism. Both times the same multidisciplinary team decided there was enough evidence to make a medical dx of autism without needing an ADOS.

eandz Wed 15-Jun-11 18:46:32

BDA
I would love to hear what she thinks 'normal' is too.

Nicevideo
I guess I won't worry about no ados. How are your girls now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now