Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

slightly confused

(9 Posts)
Calally Tue 14-Jun-11 21:14:11

was reading another post, and noticed someone had mentioned dyspraxia. i had never heard of this. so decided to google. reading through some of the symptoms, can relate a lot of them to ds ( whose 5 ). but on the other hand he also has a lot of autistic traits, and paed is almost certain he is autistic. now apparently he cant be dyspraxic and autistic, can only be 1 or the other and not both. im confused as he falls into both categories. has anyone else had this situation before, or advise me what to do?

Triggles Tue 14-Jun-11 21:21:30

It's the first I've heard that they can't be both.

chocjunkie Tue 14-Jun-11 21:22:37

it is actually possible to have both. see here if you want to read a bit more...

utah Tue 14-Jun-11 21:23:22

have a read of this link

www.autism.org.uk/about-autism/related-conditions/dyspraxia/dyspraxia-and-autism-spectrum-disorders.aspx

utah Tue 14-Jun-11 21:24:39

posted at the same time so ignore mine

Triggles Tue 14-Jun-11 21:27:12

thanks for the links, by the way. DS2 is being assessed (long and ongoing) for ADHD, ASD, and dyspraxia, so I would have thought paed wouldn't be saying possibly he has all of that if it's impossible to have them both.

Calally Tue 14-Jun-11 21:27:49

aww thanks, ill have a read. was on dyspraxia website under faqs, said they couldnt have both.

moosemama Tue 14-Jun-11 22:01:00

We were told by the OT and Clinical Psych at ds1's ASD assessment that dyspraxia and ASD have very blurred edges in terms of profile and that many children they see who get a dx of ASD, also fit the criteria for dyspraxia - and in such cases they are considered comorbid and would get a dx for both.

The reason they told me that was because they thought my ds was likely to get a dx for both, but when he had his full OT assessment, he scored exactly on the cut-off point for not getting a dx (and therefore didn't qualify for any support hmm).

Calally Tue 14-Jun-11 23:00:43

Right. Think I'll speak 2 paed. It's never been mentioned before, possibly because his gross motor skills tend to be fine, but there are a few issues. But the majority of other signs/symptoms I can relate to ds. Paed not due to see him till sept, but trying to get an appt as soon as

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now