Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How do you get nappies on the NHS?

(25 Posts)
mumgoingcrazy Mon 13-Jun-11 19:47:16

DD2 is just 4, she has sensory difficulties and global delay affecting mainly motor skills and social communication and social skills.

I did attempt toilet training over easter and it was a disaster, she is just not ready and I don't think she will be for a very long time. Fortunately the school she goes to in Sept doesn't have to have her toilet trained so at least I don't have that pressure.

How do you apply for nappies and would I be eligable?

TIA

utah Mon 13-Jun-11 19:52:55

where i live you go to the health visitor, not sure if it is the same everywhere but the HV will know where to direct you if it is not them.

utah Mon 13-Jun-11 19:55:37

sorry did not reply to both parts the child has to be over 4

mumgoingcrazy Mon 13-Jun-11 20:29:58

Thank you Utah, I'll give the HV a call tomorrow and set the ball rolling. Be good to save a few pennies!

graciousenid Mon 13-Jun-11 23:22:10

here we get them from the school nurse - eligible from when they turn 4 & they get 4 nappies a day. ds doesn't go to school so I asked my HV to sort it out for us smile

starfishmummy Tue 14-Jun-11 08:10:31

Here it's three to get them (or was when DS started getting them) and it was Health visitor. Now he's at school its the School Nurses who do the reviews etc.

glittery Tue 14-Jun-11 09:25:34

yep its 3 here too (Scotland) and we get 5 a day

direlahere Tue 14-Jun-11 10:42:46

Its four years old to go on a waiting list here and then two a day!

mumgoingcrazy Tue 14-Jun-11 11:42:06

Thank you everyone. It really varies. I wonder if I could have had them from 3yrs then sad

I left a message for the HV today so hopefully we'll see. Shocked at having to go on a waiting list for nappies though direlahere!!

direlahere Tue 14-Jun-11 16:05:05

Yes it's just another way to postpone providing them, I think my ds was 4yrs 7 or 8 months by the time we were awarded our two a day for a child who was wearing nappies all the time at home because the equipment service failed to provide toiletting equipment and our son has cp and needed support but was ready for toilletting, our services here suck!

electra Tue 14-Jun-11 18:39:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Calally Tue 14-Jun-11 20:30:42

think ds was just over three when we got them. hv sorted ours. we get huggies, 2 boxes worth every 4 or 6 weeks. but have to use pampers or something else at night, as he seems to go more at night ( dont know why )

mumgoingcrazy Tue 14-Jun-11 20:47:47

Can you choose your nappies as we find pampers are the only ones that really work for her? The rest she goes through much quicker and usually leaks.

Calally Tue 14-Jun-11 20:53:08

i dont know. would be great if you could. im to scared to ask in case they think im ungrateful and stop them altogether

happydayyay Tue 14-Jun-11 21:56:56

How do you mannage to get huggies we get some horrible cheap brand that leak as fast as you put them on. Iv had to start buying huggies again as cant have dd leaking at school .

Calally Tue 14-Jun-11 23:02:26

Thats just what they've always sent, never questioned it. Guess each area is different, which isn't helpful

raffle Wed 15-Jun-11 00:00:36

So does that mean Huggies and Pampers do sizes bigger than 6? We can get a size 6 at the supermarket but am a tad worried as PJ is nearly out of this size and he's only 2 and 8 months, would be great if there was a super-secret-size-seven out there somewhere!

starfishmummy Wed 15-Jun-11 07:39:12

You usually get whatever brand the suppliers contracted to your PCT provide. When DS was younger they had to do a special order for him as the ones they usually supplied were too big, so sometimes he had huggies, sometimes pampers - poresumably he got whichever ones they could get the best deal on at the time!

starfishmummy Wed 15-Jun-11 07:41:43

oops, thats presumably!

Calally Wed 15-Jun-11 08:33:25

I read somewhere that pampers do bigger than size 6, but there not available in the uk sad don't know about huggies

shazian Wed 15-Jun-11 10:48:16

Im in Scotland, have had nappies (Pampers) for ds from age 3. DS is 10 now and gets attends slips (same as nappies quite absorbent, 2 sticky tapes each side), should be supplies 5 per day, however after bit of fight now given 8 per day (has bowel problems can use 5 by midday, due to size cant buy in supermarket can get online but £18 plus p&p per bag) which are delivered to home every 8 weeks. Health visitor deals with nappies ie when need bigger size etc.

mumgoingcrazy Wed 15-Jun-11 20:08:01

Well our HV is on the ball as usual, 3 messages later and no response. De ja vu! I now remember why it's been 2 years since I last spoke to her angry

mum2202 Thu 16-Jun-11 22:39:03

hi ds get about 6 nappies a day and we use a brand called Libbero they are basicly pampers but are french they come in size 7 and 7+ not sure if they go larger. If you ask your nappies provider they should be able to get them for you. They will not tell you about them i only found out about them through a fellow parent at ds school. I tried the attends and found them to plastic and ds smelt all the time while wearing them. Push for Libbero they are so much better. Otherwise they offer the cheapest brand basic pampers or huggies pull ups.

mumgoingcrazy Fri 17-Jun-11 11:49:47

Thank you mum2202.

I spoke to the school nurse yesterday and she is organising an continance assessment and then DD2 should get them. I have no idea how many or what make though. Either way, it should all cost less having them than not.

Thank you all for your help

mum2202 Fri 17-Jun-11 21:14:23

mumgoingcrazy your very welcome glad i could be of some help to you. i hope they provide you with enough nappies but i know it is different in all areas. the old postcode lottery again. i hope it all works out and any free nappies help out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now