Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

IEP help PLEASE!

(7 Posts)
CinnamonPretzel Sun 12-Jun-11 10:54:52

Sorry, I know there are lots of IEP, Statement and DLA threads at the moment but I really need some help/advice.
My DSs IEP has been the same for the last year. Two objectives, but quite broad in area.. and not being met/achieved.

To get dressed quickly - put clothes in order, follow the pictures.
To complete a piece of work on his own - listen to the task, repeat it to an adult, complete the task, work towards the reward.

We need to change these tasks so that they are achievable but I don't know what should replace them.

DS has HFA and bad attention problems along with sensory issues, sound, temperature, etc.
Do we keep the getting changed one, but maybe break it down into chunks so that only the bottom half needs to be achieved first?
Do we replace them with more academic type objectives, such as, reach reading

level 5 by July, learn 6 x table by end of term?

What kind of things do you have on your IEP?

At the moment the IEP seems a pointless exercise, but as we are on the path for Statement assessment, we really need to work this out {frustrated emoticon hmm}

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

TotalChaos Sun 12-Jun-11 11:04:55

my DS never had an IEP (don't ask!!) but strikes me that the targets arent SMART enough - specific, measurable,achievable, recordable etc.

so as well as breaking them down, be more specific - so with the dressing one, instead of quickly, put within (x) minutes, and consider what level of adult help/prompting if any should be included....

that completing a task one is absolutely huge IMO, and needs separating out as issue 1 is comprehending the task/what's expected and issue 2 is staying on focus with the task and issue 3 would be the reward stage. would have thought it would be more useful for your ds to have a visual/written record of the task as well as repeating it.....

agree there should be more specific academic tasks included as well - dressing independently is an important skill, but surely doesn't happen that often in a school day!

CinnamonPretzel Sun 12-Jun-11 19:33:12

Thanks TC. I have a meeting with SENCO in two weeks, so will speak to her before so that she can get something re-done before we meet.
It surprises me how much SEN within schools needs learning not just by the parents! smile

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 12-Jun-11 20:04:43

Agree with TotalChaos. That second one is more a statement aim than an IEP one, much too broad. God, my DS is 11 and still needs help with that one, and is likely to for the foreseeable!

You should have at least 3 targets, maybe 2 academic and one social (but more would be better.) Much better to have lots of small targets that they can be chipping away at. Gives the TA / teacher some focus. Eg improve reading level by 6 months in 6 months by daily intervention of such and such programme of 15 mind by TA, to be measured at start and finish using such and such reading test. Similar for maths, then a social target, like the self help skills.

For completing a task, change it to writing the WALT and three sentences (or whatever is appropriate) with only prompting from TA, during each literacy session by next review. Method, checksheet/ticksheet with teacher's instructions broken down into 3 small, manageable steps by TA, your DS to tick off as each task completed. This could then be extended into more tasks, more complex etc as he progresses through school.

HTH

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 12-Jun-11 20:05:40

That's 15 mins by TA. Bloody auto correct.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 12-Jun-11 22:47:33

I would get rid of the getting dressed one tbh. That one is easy peasy for you to do yourself at home (well maybe not easy but at least possible)

Have in his school ones, those which would only be able to be worked on in a peer setting, using resources that you don't have.

One that my ds had was done at snack time. He had to hold the choice of two snacks up to a peer and say 'which one would you like?'. The peer had to say, and ds had to LISTEN and hand them the right one. This could be practised up to 30 times a session (i.e. there are 30 peers in the class) is very specific, easily measurable and could not be done at home.

But, if you're on path for a statement, what you would really want is for THEM to come up with the targets and then for you and them to smarten them right up. Both the evidence of failure plus your questioning of the rationale of why on earth THOSE targets should demonstrate that the school alone and without support cannot meet your child's needs.

CinnamonPretzel Sun 12-Jun-11 23:16:31

Thanks Ellen/Star, Yes agree about removing the dressing one. Problem with DS is his attention, he can get dressed on his own, but he gets distracted very easily, plus he has sensory issues - so in a class of 25ish he's all over the place and can't focus long enough to get changed or you caa see he's just not there - in a weird way. Its just not a target that will ever be met in the immediate future!
I'll ask them to look at specific academic targets and see what they come up with. They should have a better idea now they've done SATs etc.
I thinks the hardest prob is that he fluctuates so much too. He's above average on his ability, it literally is the attention and motivation. Its boring so he needs it to be fun - next year is going to be soo stressful hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now