Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can anyone tell me about portage?

(18 Posts)
used2bthin Sat 11-Jun-11 17:53:04

As we don't get it in this county but its something I would love to train in (then do with DD at home as well as hopefully use it at work if they'd let me).

Have you found it useful of you have had it for your child? Do lots of areas employ them as they seem to be council run, our area just doesn't employ them, I work for the council though.

direlahere Sat 11-Jun-11 18:08:59

We had a fab portage worker who visited weekly and made a real difference to our son and his development through play and who helped to ensure play was appropriately targetting different areas of learning. There is little I feel positively about in terms of our LA but providing portage is something I hope they continue to provide, it was much more beneficial than the pre-school where he attended but progressed little.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Sat 11-Jun-11 18:40:17

we had portage for dd3, it was fab, just not for long enough due to massive waiting lists. They start with a portage checklist that covers all areas of development, it's just a list of questions but it identifies areas that need to be worked on. The portage worker usually discusses what's to be worked on with you and then goes off and decides how best to approach it and comes back with a plan and any equipment that may be relevant. We had fortnightly visits, the lady was lovely, very amenable and flexible and between the team could come up with all sorts of things.

used2bthin Sat 11-Jun-11 21:05:41

Thank you both for the replies it sounds so interesting. I wish we had it here both for DD and so I could work as one! I think I will ring them on monday because I can't see any more training on their online calender. Really want to do it now!

nicevideoshameaboutthesong Sun 12-Jun-11 10:12:51

Our portage was renamed 'Early Support Service' a year or two ago.

DD2 was dx in Nov 2010, and put in the waiting list immediately.

We're still waiting.

She's going to nursery in September and then it will be too late.

I am very disappointed. There have been numerous issues over the coursae of the last 8 months that i could've used some help on. sad

ohmeohmy Sun 12-Jun-11 10:37:54

We had portage, it was really good. Big committment as you have to do all the work with your child but really helpful to have guidance on what to do. We also got hydrotherapy through our portage and I think it was our favourite thing ever. AMazing. He also thought it was great to have someone he liked arrive every week with a bag of toys to play with.
ALso really good to then have information to feed into nursery support and later school. Definitely train if you can. Lovely thing to do.

We were very lucky, living in North west, services were great and waiting lists short. <waves to Mandy portage worker in LAncaster if you're on here>

catherinea1971 Sun 12-Jun-11 10:58:45

My ds's portage worker was amazing, she could get him to sit and do stuff he wouldn't for me, he still won't. They give such an amazing service, I was gutted when ds started pre-school and our portage lady stopped coming, she was so lovely and was a great help to me as well as ds.. there should be more of them though, their work is a massive help.smile

neutralnora Sun 12-Jun-11 11:19:52

Our portage worker was awful, zero rapport with children and no clue about autism. My bigger issue was with the fact that our LEA considered fortnightly portage sessions (term time only) as sufficient early intervention for the two years until DS reached nursery age. And the portage advice was little more than talking to ds more or singing him more nursery rhymes. Hopelessly, hopelessly inadequate in our case

signandsmile Mon 13-Jun-11 07:48:52

For us portage was amazing. So clear, targetted and helpful. There was a waiting list, sad, but once we got it has honestly been one of the main things that has kept me sane. I have had to restrain self from hugging portage teacher on more than one occassion, grin.

I will miss her input so much when ds starts school in Sept.

proudmum74 Tue 14-Jun-11 11:24:48

Hi - like most, I found our portage worker to be amazing. Sadly we were on the waiting list so long that we only had her support for 3 months before dd started nursery part-time & we lost the support again.

Our portage worker always claimed we didn't need her, mainly because I'd waited so long for her support I'd done my own research & found a fantastic Gymboree educational play book in our local library that split the activities by skill it was developing which became my bible during the year we waited

Training is a great idea as it's a severly under resourced service that genuinely helps families

direlahere Tue 14-Jun-11 16:08:13

I would agree with proudmum74, it is a service that genuinly has the potential to help families particularly as they can start working with families early on quite close to diagnosis at a time when support can be both practicial and emotional if the worker has the requisite skills, good luck with your training used2bthin.

nicevideoshameaboutthesong Tue 14-Jun-11 16:46:58

WHY have we waited since November and havent heard a bloody peep despite chasing them several times??? We're going to lose them in September, it would have been nice to have some help this past year with her... many times i've been desperate, utterly desperate, and have had no one sad

wtf? i mean dx a kid at 2y, and leave child and parents to flounder until nursery cos the waiting list is too long?

i'm trying not to be cross because i know how backed up they are, but at the same time i am spitting nails for myself, the stress we've lived with, and my daughter who could be so much further on if someone had bothered to help her sad

i rang and chased in Jan, they said Feb we'd have our apptmt. I rang in March they said after Easter. I rang early May, they said 'sometime in the next month' - i rang again yesterday, no one returns my calls... i am so frustrated sad

ohmeohmy Wed 15-Jun-11 07:12:45

nicevid- have you tried lodging an official complaint with the education dept (I Think that is who they are usually under) or speak to your MP? I agree it completely sucks but there may be a few avenues left. Scandalous that the onus is on you though. Good luck

nicevideoshameaboutthesong Wed 15-Jun-11 10:05:50

not yet, tbh we're snowed under fighting for dd1's statement to be sorted, tribunal on 30 sept, and starting dd2's... It's on the to do list but closer to the bottom than i want it to be, sigh. Who the hell can work when life is nothint but running about and paperwork and battles and registering complaints? I can barely find time to eat and sleep...

ohmeohmy Wed 15-Jun-11 10:14:18

Sorry to hear it's so tough for you. Somehow we seem to find the strength to do what our kids need from us. Do find time to eat and sleep though... can't help anyone if you are ill yourself but expect you know that. Anyone in RL who can help take the strain off you?

geeandfeesmum Wed 15-Jun-11 19:07:43

What is portage? My DD sees an Early Years Support Teacher. Is that the same thing?

eatyourveg Wed 15-Jun-11 19:17:00

ds2 and ds3 both had portage until they each got a placement at the SEN Nursery. Christine our portage worker was brilliant. I wish you well on your training - its such a worthwhile and invaluable service.

used2bthin Wed 15-Jun-11 21:39:36

geeandfeesmum I think where I live we have early support teachers instead or at least as far as I can make out although ours seems to be more for support around getting dd what she needs at playgroup/school so I am not sure.

Actually since portage is activities I don't think we really do have a proper equivalent. I am really keen to do the training but wonder if it will mean much living in an area where the council don't employ them.

Its crazy how provision differs county to county isn't it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now