Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Should we apply for a statement now?

(13 Posts)
janx Sat 11-Jun-11 17:51:41

Ds is 3.6 and currently goes to nursery 3 days a week. He has recently been assessed as having severe verbal dyspraxia and is on the waiting list for therapy at the Nuffield centre where he was assessed. He currently receives speech therapy locally (not at nursery). His last therapist suggested we look at a Language resource sch. We made an appt last week and the therapist suggested we could apply for a nursery place - they have a panel meeting in October but there is no guarantee that we would get a place as spaces are limited. My dd goes to another sch locally. I am wondering if I should apply for a statement anyway in case we don't get into the LRS - just so we have more options. We were originally thinking of moving him from his present nursery when he starts reception, but now are considering our options.

beautifulgirls Sat 11-Jun-11 18:55:22

Yes, definately start applying. It takes time especially if you need to go to appeal (highly likely!). If you get a statement you will get the chance to name the school you want in the long run and ensure that even if not a language unit that legally he gets speech therapy in school. Take a look a IPSEA and SOSSEN for help about statementing. If your experience was anything like ours at Nuffield you have some very comprehensive reports there and these should help your fight I'm sure. Who did you see there?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 11-Jun-11 19:31:21

Apply asap for the statement from the LEA. is helpful re the whole statementing process.

janx Sat 11-Jun-11 21:11:24

Thanks - we saw a dr lucas and mrs burrows at Nuffield and yes the report was vey comprehensive. I am slightly confused about how I start it as he is not at a school. Is it best to ring the ipsea help line as the model letters seem aimed at those children who are already at school

feynman Sun 12-Jun-11 01:13:47

I used a model letter and just changed the wording slightly I think, as my son wasn't at school. When you do apply though, expect to be told you won't need one, you'll never get one and your child will be fine without one. Many people on here have been told all these things (and got the statment).

janx Sun 12-Jun-11 08:38:59

Thanks - did you put down the school you wanted him to go to?

beautifulgirls Sun 12-Jun-11 10:12:48

Hi Janx - it wouldn't hurt to talk to IPSEA or SOSSEN for advice before you apply. I think based on my experience and also what I have read on here in the past getting hold of IPSEA can be very hard but I have got through to SOSSEN without any issues and they were very helpful. We saw Dr MacArdle (and I can't remember which speech therapist right now but your names do not seem familiar) when we were there so not the same people you saw. When you do apply I think you are really looking at what you think his needs are that make him different to the average child in nursery/school and the reasons why you think this is not likely to be managed under normal circumstances in the setting without a statement in place to assist (and hopefully funding too then!)

janx Sun 12-Jun-11 18:13:21

Is this initial letter just to ask for a more detailed form?

loulou77 Sun 12-Jun-11 18:28:13

janx, this letter starts off the process of statutory assessment, and I put as much information in as possible, all with different headings etc to make it easy to follow. Basically, I set out all the reasons why DS needed help to access the EYS curriculum and other help in order to participate (read "exist") in a school setting. I also attached a copy of all the paperwork I then had and made mention of all the reports/assessments outstanding.

My LA based their decision as to whether to assess on this first letter so I think it was important to get down all the relevant information, even if it ran to pages. When the LA agreed to assess, they sent me out further questionnaires. I took their questions and again, re-wrote what I had initially sent and added to it as necessary and included all the reports that had come in in the meantime. I kept a copy of everything I sent to the LA (these letters/questionnaires all became part of the Annexes to the statement we eventually got).

I had lots of great advice from here by asking and searching the archives. Good luck with the letter.

loulou77 Sun 12-Jun-11 18:30:28

BTW I didn't specify at this initial stage which school I wanted DS to go to...but if you have somewhere in mind (especially if it's over-subscribed, specialist provision) it wouldn't hurt to set out your case in such a way that your DS fulfils the relevant criteria? But someone may have better advice on this point.

janx Sun 12-Jun-11 18:39:52

oh thanks - it seems stressful already and I haven't even written anything shock

loulou77 Sun 12-Jun-11 18:54:18

I won't will be relieved when it is done! My DS has ASD but I can send you my first draft if it would be of help x

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 12-Jun-11 19:47:15

You can just ask for the LA to send you their SA request proforma. They should send that by return of post, and when returning that form include all the info that Loulou suggested.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: