Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Moondog can you help???

(7 Posts)
devientenigma Fri 10-Jun-11 18:13:09

My ds is 10 and down syndrome among other medical, neurological and physical issues. His speech from my perspective is quite good, when copying words he is very clear. When talking himself he can miss beginnings off words, it's not very clear. He can't make or hold conversation. A year ago he had a receptive understanding of a 4/5 yo and the expressive was that of a 2/3 yo done by bibic. He also has literal thinking and echolalia. From a speech therapist pov what should he be getting and doing?? Don't worry if you can't help, Take care.

moondog Fri 10-Jun-11 19:26:30

Hi Devient
I know you are having some real problems at the moment which sound so worrying. I'm really sorry about that.

It's impossible for me to say in this context I'm afraid.So much depends on him as an individual and the environment he finds himself in.

I try to use what I know as a s/lt to give some general guidance to people on MN as I know how much frustration communication needs and fighting for appropriate provision cause families. That's all I can do.

I hope your son can find his way back to being happy in a school setting which wopuld do both you and him a lot of good i am sure. Good for noone to be home isolated all day. Communication cetainly isn't going to be really taking off in that settting.

Take care. XX

devientenigma Fri 10-Jun-11 22:16:25

Thanks Moondog,
His speech has come on immensly since being out of school. Even family members now realise he can talk and have had positive feedback. Before he didn't speak. I just thought maybe you could of gave a gist of what should be expected of him at this stage and what input salt would be doing should he be in school. I know you don't know him and i'm not the greatest at explaining, I just wondered if there was some sort of DS protocol. Thanks for replying anyway.
Take care x

moondog Fri 10-Jun-11 22:33:46

Not that I know of which is probably a good thing as people with DS are of course all very different, just like everyone else. I know peopel with DS who are non verbal and highly dependant and then others who work, have boy/girlfriends, full lives and pretty much do what everyone else does in the course of ea regular life. smile

Good to hear speech coming on.That's often a bit of a problem with kids with DS.

working9while5 Fri 10-Jun-11 22:48:58

Hi devientenigma

I have heard of a secondary mainstream resource unit for students in Bradford which was set up after a parent group lobbied for it. I tried to google to find out the name of the woman who leads their group but I don't really know the full details as it's just something a colleague on my MSc course mentioned so I am struggling with relevant search terms. I remember my colleague saying something about how they run workshops for parents where experts come to speak about the types of things you are asking.

You might find this useful? I think Monica Bray is one of the leading authorities in this area in the UK, though she may be retired!

mariamagdalena Sat 11-Jun-11 02:23:29

In London but well worth travelling to

mariamagdalena Sat 11-Jun-11 02:30:32

Comprehensive language programme specific to Down syndrome

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: