Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

first camhs next week....

(6 Posts)
mumtoaandj Fri 10-Jun-11 12:10:28

my son 4.10 has his first camhs appointmnet next week-well we do.
what sort of things should i ask? tell? do?
i have made a list of perculiar things he does/did/behaviours/etc.
please give me some advise,
thank you

janetsplanet Fri 10-Jun-11 12:36:16

we were asked a brief history. i took a list of odd things my girl does. they will ask what other professionals you have. what family live with you. are you and dad together. they will chat with DS too (although my DD is 7)
they will have a box of toys so the child can do what they want while you have the chat. the person will be writing all the time

mumtoaandj Fri 10-Jun-11 14:43:32

thank you.
should i ask any particular questions?
we have not been referred to a paedatrician i had the choice between camhs or paedatrician.

janetsplanet Fri 10-Jun-11 18:22:57

we got referred from paed with advice from myself and school. erm i didnt as questions as such. i just explained what i was worried about and what school were worried about. the person you see is not the one to make the diagnosis. mine didnt say what she thought it was. just that its up to the SCAT team to do the assesssment then make a decision

coff33pot Sun 12-Jun-11 00:48:59

They ask questions like when your child started walking/talking his eating/sleeping habits basically anything you can remember baby wise to day would be good to write down along with family history. So its good to remember amongst yourselves before you go. Meeting for me was easy going as the first is mainly gathering info. DS was 5.9 at the time and he was talked to but more in general chat over his toys they gave him to play, a sort of gentle observation so he was none the wiser anything was up.

IndigoBell Mon 13-Jun-11 09:56:32

Yes, they'll want to know his early milestones, things like when he first spoke....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now