Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Hop, Skip and Jump - does anyone here go?

(17 Posts)
hazeyjane Fri 10-Jun-11 06:01:10

I just wondered what you think of it. I saw a leaflet about it at the Salt Way centre in Swindon, and see that there is one in Bristol and one in Cheltenham.

If anyone goes, is it mostly for older children, or would it be any good for my ds who is 11 months, but has delays which make him physically more like 4-6 months? I understand that siblings are welcome, so thought it might make a good day trip for us with dds (4 and 5) and ds (we are about 40 minutes from the Cheltenham one.

I'd also be interested in what people think of it, because since I saw that they are fundraising to open one in Swindon, I have had it in my head that I would like to host an event that would raise money for it. Waiting for the results of blood tests and a diagnosis for ds has been hard, and now I realise we are in it for the long haul, raising money for something like this would feel like I was doing something really positive, and be a distraction from the worry of waiting!

Thankyou

Riveninside Fri 10-Jun-11 10:16:14

We use the bristol one. Its great for little ones

Galena Fri 10-Jun-11 12:13:18

Funnily enough I've just emailed the Cheltenham one about DD who is just 2. They have said it would be suitable for her and that we should arrange to go and meet them so I'll do that on next week. smile Maybe we'll meet you there one day!

JJWMummy Fri 10-Jun-11 13:03:00

Hi Hazeyjane

Are you in Swindon? Not sure about whether or not you'd be able to attend or not. However I do know that the one in Swindon at Lydiard Park is now being delayed, by 5 YEARS! This, as you would imagine is due to the economic climate. They are going to open one in a pre existing building, can't remember where though. An aquaintance works at Saltway so I'll ask her later if she knows anything more.

I would give the Bristol one a ring or call the Childrens Disability Team at SBC regarding attendence, I know they run monthly trips to Bristol so may be able to help you further.

HTH

SwindonParent Fri 10-Jun-11 15:11:49

The Swindon is now taking over the old Shaw Community building/land and will be opening in the summer, July I think. There is a FB page on it and I know they will welcome any fundraising!

Got to dash now, but I can get more info if you like.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 10-Jun-11 17:16:37

The Cheltenham one has got something for everyone. My 13 yo NT DS would cpnsider himself too old for it now, but I went there with all 3 DSs from DS3 being a baby. Ring them, they have SN groups and schools visiting from time to time so you might want to pick a quiet day. I've spent many a happy day there with friends.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 10-Jun-11 17:17:05

That's consider

hazeyjane Fri 10-Jun-11 19:57:52

Thankyou everyone.

Sad that that the big plans may be shelved for a while. I tried to call the Swindon contact number today, to ask about fundraising, but had to leave a message. I would like to crack on with the plan, as it would be good to catch everyone before they go away for the long Summer holiday.

I'll definitely pay a visit to either the Cheltenham centre, or Bristol, but make sure I call before I go. Does anyone know how they would feel about me going with ds, with a friend and her nt 16 month old? I don't drive, and dh is working weekends atm, but I know she would be only too happy to take ds and I if it was midweek and our older dcs were at school.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 10-Jun-11 20:00:55

I've been with a friend with NT kids before now.

SwindonParent Fri 10-Jun-11 21:33:22

Website: HSJ,Swindon, but the Facebook page is better. I think they're planning to open the new place on the 15th July - exciting! grin I have an e-mail address for fundraising if they don't get back to you, feel free to PM me.

hazeyjane Fri 10-Jun-11 21:51:10

Thankyou, I'll check out their facebook page, when I am up at 3am! (should be in bed now!)

15th July, that is soon, how exciting!

hazeyjane Sat 25-Jun-11 09:34:41

Hello, just wanted to let you all know that I spoke to a lady from the Hop, Skip and Jump Swindon project about the fundraising thing we are doing, and she said that there will be a place opening in Swindon on the 15th July, although there are still longterm plans for a new build centre, if they can raise the money.

Due to rl getting in the way(!) my friend and I are going to be doing our fundraiser after the Summer Holidays. I'll let you know nearer the time, and maybe any mumsnetters in the area could come along, it would be lovely to see you.smile

signandsmile Sat 25-Jun-11 18:49:08

hazyjane, another swindonite here, pm if you want a meet up. (any other swindonites too.)

Do you get the 'aiming high' info, I have been able to book ds onto swimming at the health hydro, as well as the ASD play scheme and also ben humphries at Swindon Borough Council does sport stuff in hols, (0 - 5 trampolining, and 5 - 16 trampolining and other sports) usually at Brimble hill, at uplands this time I think... hope thats useful.

signandsmile Sat 25-Jun-11 19:02:22

doing to many things, blush not health hydro hydrotherapy pool oops!

saltyseadog Sat 25-Jun-11 23:20:48

Hi HazeyJane. We use the Chelts one - well, we are about to this summer hols smile. There is TONS to do there, its well worth a visit.

hazeyjane Tue 28-Jun-11 10:41:24

Thankyou SignandSmile, we live in Marlborough, but ds goes to the Saltway centre for physio, appointments and is hopefully going to start going to Koalas. Maybe we could meet up at the new HS+J when it opens.

Some friends of ours live near the cheltenham one, and have used it for parties, they said it was fantastic, we will definitely be going up there in the Summer too.

signandsmile Tue 28-Jun-11 13:54:51

that would be good, my ds is just about to leave koalas, (school in sept!)

they are amazing... it has been such a support, and our lead professional for TAC is part of their staff too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now