Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Florescent lights in classrooms

(5 Posts)
YakkaSkink Thu 09-Jun-11 21:15:34

DS (5) has major issues with florescent lights in general. If he's going to have a meltdown and bite, it'll be in a supermarket or somewhere else there are florescent lights as the flicker drives him up the wall. The meltdowns happen a lot in school (he attacks or tries to get out of the room) and DS complains often about them having the lights on his classroom, so I'm sure it's a big contributory factor.

At the moment he has no dx and I don't have a clear idea of what a likely dx might be, although he seems to have issues with all types of sensory processing. He's on SA+ and heading for a statement pretty rapidly as he's creating mayhem and requiring 1-2-1 support anyway.

Anyone else's DC have this issue? What can be done to help with it? Could tinted glasses or something do the trick, or is it possible to get them to change the light fittings via a statement? Or will he have to be taught outside a classroom environment to get rid of this problem?

2BoysTooLoud Thu 09-Jun-11 21:21:03

At 5 I am assuming your ds is taught mainly in the same classroom? Have you spoken to the school? I know nought about lighting but wonder if there is something they could do to help.

IndigoBell Thu 09-Jun-11 21:26:46

Certainly worth getting him checked out by a Behaviour Optometrist who will be able to test his vision and see if he needs coloured lenses or not....

Does he sit directly under the light? They may be able to move his desk????

YakkaSkink Thu 09-Jun-11 21:36:47

Yes, he's in Reception and they have to take him out a lot, but he's supposed to be in one classroom - but the whole school is lit the same way.

YakkaSkink Thu 09-Jun-11 21:38:34

He doesn't sit in one place - they're usually moving round the room doing different activities. I'd say when he is asked to sit still (not that he does) he's as far as he could be from a light.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: