Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Could you please tell me about regressive autism?

(4 Posts)
SilhouettedByTheSea Thu 09-Jun-11 09:53:27

I have a 16 month old son who seems to be developing on track, and is doing reasonably well with his language and physical development. I know it's pointless to be worrying about something that may never happen, but I am constantly aware of the possibility of regressive autism.

DH's father, uncle and grandfather all show many autistic-like traits (although never sought or received a diagnosis), and DH's grandfather mentioned that his uncle 'changed' when he was a toddler, losing words and becoming less social. I have to say I don't think DH's uncle received much support from his father, because from a young age his father labelled him the 'black sheep' of his children. He has had problems with social interaction his whole life, and tends to get angry and agressive very easily. DH's father and grandfather less so, but both experience some difficulty in certain social situations.

I should mention I am still struggling with belated PND, which I am being treated for. I know that this may add to my anxiety where my son is concerned.

DS is very cuddly. He runs to me for hugs, reaches out to grab my face and pulls it towards him to kiss me. It's lovely. His eye contact is great and he often glances into my eyes to ascertain my reaction to something and giggles if I look surprised. He interacts with his father, godmother and nan in the same way. He is a bit shy around strangers, but does warm up to them and sometimes happily smiles at strangers interacting with him in the street.

I am really scared that he is going to 'change' and am struggling fighting the feeling that one day he won't be doing all this. I worry about his future should he develop autism - I doubt my own ability to be a good enough parent to ensure he reaches his full potential. What I suppose I want to know is how I can prepare myself for any change and not view it in such negative light.

I KNOW it is ridiculous to be thinking along these lines (and writing it down, I realise it even more so), so feel free to be as harsh as you like in your responses - I probably need it. I very much apologise if I come across as ignorant in my post. I know, reading back on it, I must come across as selfish, as if my son is there to fulfil my own emotional needs and I know this is very wrong. I will appreciate any advice or comments.

nicevideoshameaboutthesong Thu 09-Jun-11 11:07:49

bump

coff33pot Thu 09-Jun-11 11:12:46

You have just had a beautiful child and at the moment he is growing and developing in on the right directions so be proud you are obviously doing a great job! smile

PND is hard, I have had it and it can escalate any small worries into huge ones that are not there.

You have a lovely child, enjoy it and concentrate on looking after yourself too.

IF and a VERY BIG IF something was go go wrong you cant stop it and to be honest no human being is "prepared" to cope with regression of any kind. So the only thing I can say is that you have the advantage of already knowing family history so can look out for signs in his developement as you go along. But dont waste every day waiting for something to happen because you could cloud his developement and the actual enjoyment of watching your baby grow up and also make yourself too anxious and ill with worry and that wont help anyone will it smile

angelPeacock Thu 09-Jun-11 22:59:27

Sillhouet, PND in all its forms is difficult, but you are aware of it, and are helping get yourself on the right track. I cant say "stop worrying" or "it will be fine" or "no need to worry about things that might never happen", because you will have heard these before and they dont help one bit. What i can say is many of us have had PND and from my experience i understand your concern.
PND seems to take your emotions and put them at opposing ends of the scale, with no middle ground. All your fears seem worse, and all the litttle things get brushed under the carpet.

Try to simply enjoy your time with your son, find some activities for you both to do like baby sign groups or toddler groups or sing along groups. At times like these you need other parents arround you for you to look at and be reassured that your child is as happy and contented as the others, it may also bring you together with other mums who have fears. They may be different fears, but remember, wanting the best for your child, and fearing something for them is the sign of a GOOD MUM!!
xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now