Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

explaining DS1's absence to DS2

(4 Posts)
sphil Wed 08-Jun-11 18:09:23

Ds2 is 8 and has ASD. He has some understanding of language, but very little idea of time or days of the week. Tomorrow his older brother is going on a three day residential trip with school. Can anyone think of a way I could represent his absence on a visual timetable? Ds2 asks for him constantly even when he's gone round to play at a friend's house and I don't think I can stand three days of it! grin

devientenigma Wed 08-Jun-11 18:12:27

Do a visual sleep timeline showing how long his brother will be away. Use a photo of him with the no entry through and 3 sleeps. HTH

sphil Wed 08-Jun-11 22:14:40

Oh I hadnt thought of using the no entry sign - thats a great idea, thanks.

coff33pot Thu 09-Jun-11 09:56:53

You could also use a countdown chart of some sorts? If you know he is going to repeatedly ask for his brother segment the day into parts. Ie breakfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime. Or you could draw cereal bowl for breakfast, etc etc and every time your ds asks let him look at how long it is till he comes home and let him tick off at each meal time the bits that have gone by.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: