Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Just started an amazing SALT course - Hanen

(14 Posts)
proudmum74 Wed 08-Jun-11 10:26:58

Hi - my DD has severe S&L difficluties, as a result I've just started a SALT run communication course based on the 'Hanen' group at the hospital

I was sceptical at first, as DD is only 14 months, but after only a few weeks we're starting to see some really encouraging results. DD is starting to initiate far more interactions with us and gets really excited when she can see we can understand what she is trying to communicate.

Hope the link below helps other people & if your local SALT is running a similar course I'd highly recommend it!

see here for more details.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 08-Jun-11 14:44:17

Hi proudmum. Hanen courses seem to be few and far between, what with cuts etc. I would also strongly recommend them, much better than Earlybird. The ASD specific Hanen book, 'More than Words' was my bible in the early days of my DS's difficulties becoming apparant. 'It Takes Two to Talk,' is the non ASD version, and suitable for any child with a language delay.

proudmum74 Wed 08-Jun-11 14:52:42

Hi EllenJane - It seems such a shame that more courses aren't available as it really seems to work, but you're right the course we were lucky enough to get on was oversubscribed by 3:1!

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 08-Jun-11 15:03:48

Hope you find it as beneficial as we did. smile It does seem to be common sense when they explain it, but it wasn't what we were doing before!

proudmum74 Wed 08-Jun-11 15:07:54

Neither was I! blush

I'm now counting elephants in my head on a regular bases! wink

catherinea1971 Wed 08-Jun-11 16:30:43

Hi Proudmum, your post has me curious, my dd is 15 months now and has no words, pointing etc. Just wondering what problems your dd has that has enabled you to get help so early. I haven't taken my dd to be seen by anyone yet, was just going to wait 'til she's 18 months, maybe I should be doing something sooner?

messmonster Wed 08-Jun-11 20:49:02

Just to say in our area Hanen is not offered until the child is 2 and a half so it's really great proudmum that you've been offered it so early smile. I too enjoyed the course although didn't see such good results with my DD sad

lisad123 Wed 08-Jun-11 21:59:00

I loved that course!!

working9while5 Wed 08-Jun-11 22:11:47

Can I ask how your courses are being run? I was asking a colleague about this and told that it is not offered as the price of childcare makes it prohibitively expensive for many parents in our area. I wondered what time etc you are doing it at? I would like to do the training and offer it with a colleague privately but have been told it is very difficult to manage it financially as parents can't really manage to attend. Just interested in the logistics!

messmonster Wed 08-Jun-11 23:23:48

9while5 my course was in the evenings from about 7 or 7:30 till 9:30 or 10. It ran from November until about Februrary - not every week obviously. Positive point was it meant I could attend which if it were in the daytime would be impossible for me due to work and childcare. Downside was that only 1 parent could usually attend (while the other babysat) so I had to try and download everything to my husband. This was the same for everyone on my course.

Course tutors also said that my course was really badly attended compared to others they run during the spring and early summer - probably due to people being less up for going out in the dark and cold.

If you were to offer it privately would the parents have to pay to attend? If so, I'd offer it on an evening or on a Saturday morning perhaps?

lisad123 Thu 09-Jun-11 07:53:09

They didn't offer childcare for mine but lucky for me her SN school kept her for me. Ours ran 9.15-11.30 which fits in with nursery sessions locally.
Every parent I have spoken to about this course found it so helpful.

TotalChaos Thu 09-Jun-11 19:36:53

9 while 5 - our was also put on in the evening (took some time, unsurprisingly to find salt willing and available to run the evening one).

working9while5 Thu 09-Jun-11 21:09:23

I don't know! Evening would suit me better (childcare etc). Saturday morning is a thought.. I do think it's a pain re having only 1 parent available though

proudmum74 Fri 10-Jun-11 16:18:15

Hi catherine a - my dd has down syndrome and is 14 months old, but to be honest she seems to be much younger than the other children. The courses are mostly evening classes, but every 3rd week is a clinic session with your child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now