Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ABA-ers, can you tell me how it works with a tutor please

(6 Posts)
LeninGrad Wed 08-Jun-11 07:51:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sickofsocalledexperts Wed 08-Jun-11 08:08:21

Usually you would have a supervisor and /or consultant who would set up a program of aims,and instruct the tutor accordingly. If you don't have that, it is still fine as you can basically sit down with the tutor and tell her what problems DS has which need addressing (speech, stims, inappropriate behaviours, reading, writing, eating problems - you name it), then the tutor will work out the ABA method to deal with them. Is the tutor experienced in ABA? I used to do 3 hour sessions, so maybe 3 or 4 of those in the afternoons? You can also get ideas from school about areas he needs to improve on. Lots of the session at first will be about "pairing" - which is basically about the tutor bonding with DS and having fun games. You can even get tutors taking child on playdates, if that's an area of problems. I found it was best to give the tutor and child a separate room and let them get on with it. A little table and 2 chairs, for table work, was also a good idea. HTH

LeninGrad Wed 08-Jun-11 08:18:07

LeninGrad Wed 08-Jun-11 08:19:17

sickofsocalledexperts Wed 08-Jun-11 09:01:19

Bedroom sounds fine, although must admit that mostly I would go out and leave them to work in living rm. Trickier if you have a little one too. Tutors did loads of work on letters and numbers, then reading, matching words to pix (to ensure comprehension) etc. They also did loads on mands and cllarity of speech, but that may not be relevant.

LeninGrad Wed 08-Jun-11 09:05:11

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now