Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

The Listerning Programme?

(9 Posts)
PipinJo Tue 07-Jun-11 10:55:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IndigoBell Tue 07-Jun-11 10:58:15

There are loads of different listening therapies based on work by Tomatis.

I have had absolutely amazing results with Auditory Integration Training, for both my DS (Aspergers) and my DD (Dyslexia)

It hugely helped DDs memory problems.

I highly, highly recommend AIT. But it is expesnive, and there are not many places that do it.

PM me if you want more info.....

PipinJo Tue 07-Jun-11 11:00:58

IndigoBell Tue 07-Jun-11 11:38:16

Well they're both based on the work by Tomatis......

So, I essentially think they're both the same thing......

But I might be wrong.

paranoid2 Tue 07-Jun-11 11:42:16

DT2 is on the 6th week of doing the listening program. Its a 20 week course. Not sure if its what SALT's always refer to as the LP but when I checked that the OT who provided me with the LP was an authorised provider, there were lots of SALT's in the UK who were also providers. We have not seen any major change yet although I think that DT2 seems to be able to tolerate noise a bit better. However I met a lady at the OT the other day who said that she detected changes within a week in her DS. Have to say, a bit sceptical on that.

I know from reading here that AIT involves an audiologist devising a specific listening program tailored to your childs needs, whereas the LP is a generic one, ie 10 CDs off the shelf. It cost around £300.

dolfrog Tue 07-Jun-11 15:55:51

We as a family tried the Listening Program, none of our children benefited and it interfered with my own existing coping strategies. There are also many for whom it has provided some benefit. The real problem is identifying who will benefit from using any of theses types of progra, and who will not benefit from these programs, and possibly more importantly who like me may be damaged by using one of these programs, The real understanding of how these programs really work is not yet scientifically possible, all that can be stated is that they can work or provide some benefit for some, but not all.
You may find this research paper of some interest.
Auditory integration training and other sound therapies for autism spectrum disorders: a systematic review

tryingtokeepintune Tue 07-Jun-11 16:53:34

I know someone who said her son had auditory integration and light wave therapy intensively over a ten day period when he was 5 at a centre in London. This was useful and they did see a significant improvement in his development. She reported that his school teacher said that it was like a wall coming down and noted an explosion in his speech. However, a year later, at the ICAN assessment her ds was still found to be on the 1st to 3rd centile for both receptive and expressive speech.

In the past 2 years they have used the listening programme as recommended by her privately funded SALT. She said the results are amazing and now he is within the average scores for both expressive and receptive speech and no longer needs it.

Am meeting her later this week so can ask her more questions if you like.

PipinJo Tue 07-Jun-11 18:10:56

tryingtokeepintune Wed 08-Jun-11 10:09:32

PipinJo, yes, she was shocked when the ICAN assessment showed her the results. I think that's why she then did the Listening Programme.

Must make it clear that whilst she did the Listening Programme with the private SALT, her ds also had weekly SALT sessions by the same pte SALT. It might be argued that it is debatable what caused her son to improve so much. The assessment done by the pte SALT 2 months ago showed that he has made such a huge improvement that he is now within the average scores . She, the pte SALT, has since discharged him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now