Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I can't figure out what he is seeking by sitting this way.

(15 Posts)
PaperView Mon 06-Jun-11 21:50:29

DS2 has lots of issues that we don't yet fully understand. ASD related - currently under camhs who are doing the multi agency thing before ADOS. He is also under the sensory processing disorder and dyspraxia umbrella (Paeds words)

He has always sat funny but the last few months he has been sitting really bizarrely and i can't figure out what he is seeking. It's hard to explain but he will be sat down with his weight kind of on his coccyx, his legs open and his knees by his ears. His arms are then hooked under his legs. Kind of showing of his anus (although not literally!!)

Have looked at weighted blankets but i don't think that is the way forward for him (and can't afford it!) but obviously he can't carry on sitting this way at school!

He is so hard to cope with atm i just want to make htings easier for us al as well as him sad

Minx179 Mon 06-Jun-11 22:10:26

Do you think he could have difficulties with proprioception? My DS has Dyspraxia, and had problems in the area of proprioception, balance, knowing where he was in relation to objects, where various parts of his body were in relation to others.

I've added some links so you can see if this may be what contributes to his seating position.

Reflex/Vision Therapy helped DS.

HTH

What is your D's balance and self awareness like generally?

www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/news/show_news.php?id=23

www.thelearningclinic.ie/index.php/about/

www.douglassilassolicitors.co.uk/UsefulInformation/TypesofSEN-Disability/Proprioception.html

PaperView Mon 06-Jun-11 22:16:27

HIs balance is better than it was but he is still clumsy. Runs like Roadrunner ie with his legs going faster than his body!

He doesn't knock things over a lot - well not more than any other 6year old i don't think.

WIll look at the links properly.

Ben10isthespawnofthedevil Mon 06-Jun-11 22:23:29

like this?

Ben10isthespawnofthedevil Mon 06-Jun-11 22:25:16

If it is then this was a previous thread

PaperView Mon 06-Jun-11 22:28:46

No not like that. He sits like that at first and goes from that to the wierd way of sitting.

I will look at the thread anyway though smile

PaperView Mon 06-Jun-11 22:31:53

Hmm no not that....He does the "tripod" way of standing/starting to sit - where they put their knees together then lower themselves.

PaperView Mon 06-Jun-11 22:38:25

It's like this middle image but instead of his legs going behind him they stay in front.

Maybe he is just a future Yoga Masterconfused

Minx179 Mon 06-Jun-11 22:46:10

Paperview- Do you mean when he's sitting, he's in a similar position to that which women can give birth in?

What's he like sitting on a chair, at the table etc, does he fidget? Can he sit still for 5 minutes for example?

Balance - could he balance on one leg, while touching his nose with the opposite hand?

IndigoBell Mon 06-Jun-11 22:48:36

I think minx might be right and it's a proprioception problem. He doesn't know where his limbs are unless he can feel them...

blueemerald Mon 06-Jun-11 23:39:44

Can you sit in that position? If you can then do it and stay there for a while (or as long as he does). I think by doing these things perhaps you can discover what he gets from it.

If he's verbal what does he say when you ask him why he likes sitting like that?

colditz Mon 06-Jun-11 23:44:07

Ahhhhhh Ds1 does this. Often pant-free and literally showing his anus, much to my disquiet.

He does it to kind of squish himself I think. You can get weighted beanbags and weighted vests so when he starts sitting like that at school he could be given a beanbag to hold, or a vest to wear (for no more than 20 minutes) to 'realign' his sensory processing system a bit.

zzzzz Tue 07-Jun-11 00:01:20

I think either you make it uncomfortable for him to do it, you could try sewing a big button onto the back of his trousers.

Or you teach him to do something else instead. Could he perhaps get the same kind of feeling from sitting in chair with a tightly rolled towel in the small of his back?

Or you just accept that he is a super sloucher.

Personally I would help him make a chair that pushes him in the same way and see if he can learn to limit his time doing it, but you know him better.

As a child I liked putting my legs behind my head as shown in the piccy....must have looked shock!!

PaperView Tue 07-Jun-11 10:06:05

I can't even touch my toes these days never mind sit like that!!
ANd COlditz - he is very often pantless too.

He is a fidget in his chair, we have a Breezi chair from OT for him to use at the dining table as well as a similar one for school. His teacher has found that he is much better behaved when he is not sitting in it so at school there is a trade off between fidgetting and behaviour! We are signed off from OT now but still "on the books" so we can access them if needed via the paediatrician. He is never ever still, AT this moment in time he is sat on the floor playing his DS. Sitting in the W position linked above but with legs wider apart. He is bobbing forward and back ever so slightly.

He is verbal (was delayed but his speech is good now) and just says that he likes it sitting like that.

I'm not sure a big button on his trousers would work for the times of day when he isn't sitting like that.

zzzzz Tue 07-Jun-11 14:22:28

If he just likes it and he is clothed, what about just not worrying about it? I often get riled about a particular behaviour and then think to myself, WEEEEEEEEEELL, if he's talking better and working what's the harm?

I guess what I'm saying is the button seems a little mean in the cold ligth of day!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: