Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Trying to get my son to drink water/juice

(9 Posts)
8Ace Mon 06-Jun-11 15:18:54

My 2 year old DS has suspected ASD (getting assessed in a couple of weeks). My problem is that he will only drink milk and only from a bottle. We have tried various different cups but even if he tries it when he realises it is not milk he spits it out. This is giving him chronic constipation and I am getting worried in the warmer weather.

Can anyone give me any advice on this or share any similar experiences.

I am at work just now so will pop back on this evening.

Thanks

EllenJaneisnotmyname Mon 06-Jun-11 15:55:35

Have you tried diluting the milk with a very, very small quantity of water so he doesn't notice, then very gradually increasing the amount of water, over weeks rather than days. It will get some water in him, at least. I've also heard of making the hole in the teat bigger with a needle so the 'milk' pours out more quickly. Again gradually making the hole bigger, then moving on to a soft spout, then eventually a lidded cup. I think just changing one very small thing at a time, rather than a big change to juice, etc, may work. HTH.

chocjunkie Mon 06-Jun-11 16:46:04

also wanted to suggest diluting. DD didn't like water only milk/juice but now (after diluting it) drinks water as well. took a while though (about 2 month).

Al1son Mon 06-Jun-11 16:58:50

Will he eat ice lollies? You could make some from quite dilute juice so he gets lots of water from them.

Sometime children who won't drink will suck ice cubes.

jardy Mon 06-Jun-11 17:08:01

try jelly x

Ineedalife Mon 06-Jun-11 17:31:29

I was also going to suggest diluting the milk and also Dd3 would not drink out of a cup with a hard spout, We found some soft spouts that fitted on to her bottles and you could also get handles to make it more like a cup. Sorry can't remember what make they were but if I think I will come back later.

Don't rush the diluting and he will hopefully not notice.hmm.

Good lucksmile.

drivemecrazy63 Mon 06-Jun-11 17:49:19

please dont worry my ds took a long time to get him off milk and onto juice he will not have water whatever ive tried which is awkward in summer especially at school and he used to have a particular bottle then after a very long time went onto a particular cup so i had to send in a cup same as one at home and he never would accept a sipper/sports bottle he now drinks very diluted juice out of a clear cola bottle confused but to be fair he really has big sensory issues . your ds will get there but sometimes with Dcs with ASD and senory issues it all just takes longer anythings worth a try there all different

8Ace Mon 06-Jun-11 19:18:34

Thanks for the advice. I have tried diluting the milk but the little monkey can tell. I will try again with less and try and build it up. He has got sensory issues and doesn't like ice/lollies or jelly!!

He can be very inconsistent in his behaviour so will keep trying and will hopefully crack it before he's 16 smile

Ineedalife Mon 06-Jun-11 19:25:59

It was the Avent system that we used, 8ace. Dd3 used the bottles with the teats first and then I added the handles and then changed to the spout during the day and the teat for her last bottle. It took a long time but we got there.

Oh and she was ultra good at spotting if I put something in her drink to, so no way to hide medicine.
I think you will have to change his milk a few drops at a time over a period of weeks rather than days.

My advice would be to only change one thing at a time, either the drink or the cup, not both it will be too much for him.

Good lucksmile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: