Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Over excited child with ASD

(12 Posts)
Rosebubbles Sun 05-Jun-11 15:46:38

My son has ASD and can get very over excited. He gets so excited he doesn't know what to do with himself. He starts flapping, making noises and cuddling. Although this doesn't sound too bad he is a big lad and doesn't know his strength. He can almost knock an adult over when he lauches himself into a hug and I am concerned when he does it to children incase he accidently knocks them over. It can also get quite annoying for other children, espcially if they are smaller than him.

SuburbanDream Sun 05-Jun-11 15:58:22

DS2 does this (he's 7). I don't know what to suggest really, just bumping and hoping for a bit of advice too! My son doesn't really overdo it with people he doesn't know so I don't have to worry about him accidentally hurting others, but he does get a bit "in yer face" with adults!! Sometimes its v.sweet to see him so full of joy but I agree it's a bit annoying for the object of his affections smile

Triggles Sun 05-Jun-11 16:29:27

Same here. No "moderate" button on DS2 either. It's all "full on" and that's it.

angelPeacock Sun 05-Jun-11 19:01:17

im still trying for DX with DS, but lurking and reading all the ASD posts here helps so much. I always wondered about the overexcitement of DS (7), and whether it was just him or partly an ASD trait. i know that its a case of emotions are oposite ends of the scale with him, and as you say triggles theres no "moderate" button.
DS is only 7 but hes filling out and is a little broad in the shoulders, so i can only imagine if this behaviour continues that we would end up in the same boat as rose, how old is your DS rose?

LegoLady95 Sun 05-Jun-11 19:46:24

Sorry no advice here either, but watching with interest. DS1 is nearly 4, severe ASD and does the same at the moment. He gets so excited he bites sometimes (usually only me thankfully).

mumtoaandj Sun 05-Jun-11 20:13:15

my son is 4 and when he becomes over excited he just becomes wild-hyper-overly silly- a bit manic. he does not flap, bite etc-but keeping his life a bit mundane and boring does help!

smileANDwave2000 Mon 06-Jun-11 09:33:28

no advice my DS is a big lad too and 11 now so have the same problem all i do is if possible warn visitors if they dont know us already but hes never knocked anyone down yet nearly dont it to me millions of times though lol

BabeRuthless Mon 06-Jun-11 11:15:58

You could be talking about my son here! He's 4 1/2 & when I took him into nursery the other day I was shocked at how much he towered over every other kid there. He gets really excited or distressed so quickly. It's always difficult when his Dad gets home from work cos its straight into the rough & tumble just before bedtime. I worry about him not knowing his own strength, its really going to have to be something we work on.

Rosebubbles Mon 06-Jun-11 18:23:05

Thanks for all your replies. It's the first time I have used mumsnet and it's been interesting to see how everyone else copes with a child who has ADS. My son is 8 but is more like 11 in size. I guess with his over excitement I'll just have to keep a close eye and see how it goes.

LeninGrad Mon 06-Jun-11 18:27:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

abbiedoo Mon 06-Jun-11 19:02:36

hi just joined been told by word of mouth we have a daughter 6years with asd aspergers and add we found no support in the boston area so with other mums have set up a support group which is 3 meetings old we have coffee morning get together and have a laugh if intrested contact us on
kirton.autism@btinternet.com and we will send any info and our flyer we are here to help

angelPeacock Tue 07-Jun-11 19:47:53

abbiedoo.....i thought i saw a flyer in skeg about some sort of autistic support group. it was in the cod and cockrell chippy on boston road but this was last summer i saw it.
Good on you for setting one up!! i know skeg isnt that close to boston, but maybee if there is one still, you could gain some help and support for your group xxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: