Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can I share a good thing?

(8 Posts)
neverputasockinatoaster Sat 04-Jun-11 22:12:57

I've posted before asking for advice about my DS (6yo) with possible ASD.
I have 2 good things to share......
1 is that we have finally got an appointment for an assessment
The second is that we went to a huge family gathering this week. I generally approach those things with fear and trepidation as they are full of DS's triggers for meltdown... noise, lack of routine, noise, people, noise, lack of space, noise...... (actually those are triggers for me too!). This time we went prepared. I told family about DS and his possibel ASD and his triggers. DS had 3 keyrings, green, orange and red and I had written on them... I am really happy, getting a bit cross, need a quiet place and I am really angry, please help me to calm down. He uses cards like this at school.
Throuhgout the day I told him how well he was doing and got him to check his 'colour'.
We had NO meltdowns and he has asked when we will be seeing everyone again!
YIPPEE!!

amistillsexy Sat 04-Jun-11 22:16:02

grin

Fantastic news! Well done neverputasockinatoaster and littleneverputasockinatoaster

I love the idea of keyrings with the traffic lights on. Where did you get them from?

LeninGrad Sat 04-Jun-11 22:20:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

neverputasockinatoaster Sat 04-Jun-11 22:23:59

The keyrings are just key tags, cheapo ones from the market... the ones you can label IYSWIM.... I got 8 for £1. It was just a way to keep him on track with his colours. He had them in his pocket all day.
I was just so pleased we made it through the day. I think the decision to be 'up front' with the family meant I wasn't on edge waiting for a meltdown and thus I was able to focus on his success and reinforce it.

neverputasockinatoaster Sat 04-Jun-11 22:26:40

Assessment wise we are seeing a Paed. I suspect it will be an interesting appointment!
I'm taking his home school diary, copies of IEPs, a diary of ramblings from me ie things he does, says, triggers etc as well as a food/behaviour diary......

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 04-Jun-11 23:09:24

Brilliant grin

IndigoBell Sun 05-Jun-11 08:40:33

Really well done. Very pleased for you and little sock.

I think the colours come from the 5 point scale?

Or certainly it uses a similar type of thing if people want to read a bit more about it........

signandsmile Sun 05-Jun-11 15:21:34

well done, what a good idea, i may follow yr example....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: