Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

'accidental diagnosis' gets wheels in motion.

(3 Posts)
blugumdrop Fri 03-Jun-11 02:01:25

This is my first post on here & it is in relation to my DS. Since he was very young I was told that many of his behaviours were perfectly normal & I was a 'worried parent', although I did not know many other children who at 2yr old would sort crayons into colour & size order rather than trying to draw with them or at 5 could tell the circumference of the sun etc. Anyway to cut a long story short, academically Ds has always been pretty advanced, especially in maths, and the school had been 'monitoring' him incase there were underlying issues as socially he has always struggled. A few weeks ago he had a hearing test which came back clear but in the patients history section it stated X has Aspergers Syndrome so is prone to loud outburts. I was a bit taken aback that a diagnosis had been made without my knowledge so obviously phoned the school & G.P to enquire when this had been decided. Both the school & G.P were none the wiser as to how this 'accidental diagnosis', as the G.P put it, had been made. However, this seems to have got the wheels in motion that my 'worried parent' concerns may be justified & after an initial meeting the G.P has referred my DS onto the waiting list for a proper assessment.
Of course I am glad things are finally happening but at the same time it has hurt me to know that if I'd pushed my concerns harder from when he was young it would not have taken this long to get help, particularly when it comes to support for both child & parents when it comes to coping with his increasingly violent outbursts, I can I think deal with everything else not too badly.
Has anyone else been through a similar experience or even have any advice on the situation? I have spoken to DS, who is 11, about what little I know about Aspergers but he is very negative about the whole thing, he perked up a bit after talking to the G.P but has spoke to myself and his dad about why does he have to be different, reassuring him that being who he is is why we love him and letting him research with us famous/successful people with ASD only seemed to help for a few days.

Sops Fri 03-Jun-11 12:13:21

That sounds like a really unfortunate experience. It's hard to take on board a diagnosis even when you have been pushing for it for months, must be so disorientating to have to make that huge leap in an instant. I do sympathise and don't feel bad for feeling bad, everyone has to go through a phase of coming to terms with it. Give yourself plenty of time.
I can't really offer much advice as I'm pretty inexperienced myself, but have you looked into support groups in your area? It might be especially beneficial for your ds to meet other children that he'll probably have lots in common with and there'll be parents who can empathise with you too.
The other excellent technique I generally use myself is to find out as much as possible for myself about his condition. Knowledge is empowering and it will help you to support your ds in the best way possible. I'm sure you're a fab mum and will do a fab job. Good luck!

blugumdrop Fri 10-Jun-11 09:41:41

Thank you for the words of support Sops.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: