Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

100 great things about having ADHD ......

(38 Posts)
runningonmt Thu 02-Jun-11 21:44:44

Come on guys -I need you to help me compile a list to share with everyone who thinks ADHD is just about being a wild savage running amok in the streets and swinging from lamposts.

I'll start ........

Without having ADHD I am pretty sure my DS wouldnt be as sporty as he is. (He is as yet unbeaten in any sprint style race since nursery - he's now 11) ..... come on, your turn........

sneezecakesmum Thu 02-Jun-11 21:45:54

Thinking hmm

devientenigma Thu 02-Jun-11 21:47:27

same here, my dd won the trophy for ks3 sports personality of the year. She always has boundless amounts of energy, is always on the go, she's really flexible.

Goblinchild Thu 02-Jun-11 21:49:35

Several of the children I've known with ADHD have a very positive mental attitude to life, tigger-like bouncebackability.

devientenigma Thu 02-Jun-11 21:52:53

are we allowed to say what we hate......................no best not.

Chundle Thu 02-Jun-11 21:55:12

My dd played for 9 hours in a footy tournament on Saturday and then went on to do 90 minutes of taekwondo!

Also she regularly talks to homeless people and has no prejudices

devientenigma Thu 02-Jun-11 21:55:34

Goblin, I agree. We have 6 kids, 4 of which are classed as disabled. 1 of them being our dd who has adhd and odd. I have been really depressed and sad today and her reply when she eventually came home from being out all day, before rushing back out was...........you only have 1 life!!!

Chundle Thu 02-Jun-11 21:56:57

They are never ever ever lost for words!

Goblinchild Thu 02-Jun-11 21:59:10

smile Good answer devientenigma.
Sorry you are having a tough day, or week. sad
Sometimes there is nothing you can do other than throw your weight into the harness and keep plodding on.
I hope there is an upside soon.

runningonmt Thu 02-Jun-11 22:08:22

How about ..... Short term memory problems with locating socks, school bag,permission slips, yes ...... but they can usually quote you word for word about a conversation you had with them 2 years ago and what you were wearing at the time (and what was playing on the radio) !!!! or is that just mine ?

devientenigma Thu 02-Jun-11 22:14:16

lol, my sister is a teacher and when she found out what I had done went mad. My dd's room is like a tip on an hourly basis. On tidying it about 2 weeks ago I came across a letter for a trip to London, it had to be in for March. I emailed the teacher to see if she could still go and had only come across the letter. He bent over backwards, got her a place and I now owe £130.

devientenigma Thu 02-Jun-11 22:15:11

or you tell them to get something from upstairs and you wait for them shouting from the top...........what did I have to do..........

runningonmt Thu 02-Jun-11 22:18:11

Mine has just snuck out of sight of Grandparent to phone me to ask me what i am doing now (first night off for a few weeks) - only spoke to him 1.5 hours ago - I can hear Grandparent in the background trying to locate him and her exhausperation in finding him in bathroom with the phone when he should be in bed - Made me smile because ... .tonight . . . it is not me trying to corral him into bed again. Absence really does make the heart grow fonder.

He has asked me to add ....."unlimited energy" is a really good thing (but I am not so sure his Gma would agree tonight !!!! tee hee hee )

devientenigma Thu 02-Jun-11 22:22:24

I stopped the trying to get her to bed, I'm lucky if it's before midnight. We got her a part time job glass collecting in a bar. People say but what about school the next day. My reply is she would be up anyway she might as well get paid for it. Strangely enough she's always on time for any thing, early most occasions and yet when you know something ends, it could be hours before she turns up. I <3 her mobile, it's the only way of keeping tabs on her.

runningonmt Thu 02-Jun-11 22:24:00

devientenigma . . . that is fab. Mine is forever getting things for me that I just dont have the energy to crawl off the sofa for - that is a really good one. It also means that I can heap praise on him for being helpful which helps to erase some of the shouting I did at him earlier for trying to shoot a pebble out of my asthma inhailer earlier (dont ask!!!)

Very enquisitive and inventive mind ..... that is certainly one to add to the list.

devientenigma Thu 02-Jun-11 22:31:40

defo, I've just had her txt...........can I come in at 11 pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaase!!!

runningonmt Thu 02-Jun-11 22:31:42

Devientenigma . . . we are certainly on the same wavelength here - I have been trying to figure out how to create electricity from mine to reduce my skyrocketing power bill from lights left on, taps left running,TV in several rooms on different channels - and dont even get me started on leaving the blessed xbox switched on - I am thinking about large hamster wheel type contraption with a bit of chocolate dangling from a stick. 20 mins on that each day would probably suffice.

devientenigma Thu 02-Jun-11 22:34:25

nah not enough time lol....we have a large trampoline in the garden and a light for when it's dark.

runningonmt Thu 02-Jun-11 22:36:15

Reply to text ..... what is the chance of you actually being home at 11 if i Said yes ..... ? ....... !......... Do you need to be specific devientenigma, and state 11pm tonight - mine would possibly turn up at 11am on saturday and argue that point. Black and white thinking - I am sure there is an occasion when that would be a good thing but an struggling to think of one at the moment.

devientenigma Thu 02-Jun-11 22:39:59

lol, Iv'e txt back 11pm tonight, no doubt I will get another txt soon haha

devientenigma Thu 02-Jun-11 22:40:36

tbh, I'm surprised she's never lost the phone!!! she loses everything else.

runningonmt Thu 02-Jun-11 22:48:12

and FUNNY, I nearly forgot that one. Very good and topical sense of humour - not many kids his age enjoy mock the week - and Russell Howards good news is prob fav programme at the moment - the swearing doesnt help and some of the subjects we have to fast forward through quickly but I would rather he asks me what something means than his teacher at school or his classmates. (would put an embarressed smiley thing at the end here but DS is not here to show me how to do it !)

devientenigma Thu 02-Jun-11 22:51:24

here's something funny, one day dd was about 8 we were in the queue for a take away meal at asda, my dd was being loud and hyper and as she jumped up and down she was shouting can we have condoms over and over. I was thinking condoms, when the penny dropped I embarrasingly shouted yes we will get popadoms!!!!

r3dh3d Thu 02-Jun-11 22:53:35

A couple off the top of my head - you fly by the seat of your pants so often that you get pretty good at it; you are never ever at a loss because of trivialities like being completely unprepared and having no idea what you are talking about. And you don't brood. You don't bring work problems home and you don't take home problems to work. Largely because you can't remember what they are, but let's not split hairs, eh?

runningonmt Thu 02-Jun-11 22:55:19

Mine lost his phone in a huge grassy field when out for a walk with the dog and a neighbour a mile away from home. He had bought it with ALL his birthday money aweek earlier dispite my objections (if he doesnt loose it he breaks most things) and while we retraced his steps with me moaning in his ear the whole way - he only went and found it ! Unbelieveable ! I mean it really was a needle in a haystack senario. He is great at finding stuff like that - only he never realises he has lost it till i ask about its warabouts. The next battle to overcome is to remember to keep it charged .... baby steps eh?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: