Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

should be happy but not

(12 Posts)
cheeryface Thu 02-Jun-11 17:04:05

9 months after the poop really hit the fan ds2 has been seen by the psych. she spent 30 minutes with him and did an ados test.

the lady we have seen before (social worker) had obviously passed on all the info about him and was also there.
told us that it didnt look like autism and were ruling that out.

social worker is now going to see ds2 every 2 weeks to try to get to know him more and piece things together. work with him and us and try to help.

they are also going to get in touch with school as school are doing nothing but punish ds2 and making things worse.
somehow i dont think this woman is going to help much.

IndigoBell Thu 02-Jun-11 17:08:42

sad

Can you afford a private paed to have a look at him?

bochead Thu 02-Jun-11 20:01:32

Not wanting to sound presumptious but has a developmental pead looked at your son yet and have sensory issues been ruled out? It's my personal opinion that a lot of sensory stuff, (I include everything from apd to smell here) is easily overlooked and yet can cause HORRIBLE behavioral issues. If not get a referral fast.

I don't know too much about what they do so I'm gonna ask - what can a social worker do to help that a medic/pysch type can't?

Agree with Indigo's suggestion if you can afford it.

cheeryface Thu 02-Jun-11 20:03:53

not really, but that is what i was thinking. maybe i could work something out. do you think i should ?
dh is annoyed with me. he thinks i should be happy that he doesnt have autism and be glad that someone is seeing him but i can just see a load more of the same with no answers.

cheeryface Thu 02-Jun-11 20:11:12

he has been referred by gp to camhs , then seen at camhs once for an initial appointment in january where they said next appointment would be with the asd team in 12 months.
i phoned and mithered because things were getting worse and i thought it could be any number of things other than asd so they changed it to a sooner appoinment with the social worker who then arranged todays ados test.
ds2 is 12 btw
what would you do ? anything ?

niminypiminy Thu 02-Jun-11 20:18:49

Ask for (I mean demand, really) a second opinion -- 30 minutes is a derisory amount of time to spend on making a dx -- I mean, did she see you and take a full history? what did she say about your son apart from 'ruling out' ASD? It just sounds as if you were fobbed off to me.

cheeryface Thu 02-Jun-11 22:59:30

no , she asked me nothing about him but i think that was because i had already gone into detail about him at the last appointment with the social worker. she was there also and they had a conflab about him before and after the ados test.
my son has been wanting to kill himself on and off since september among other things and i have gone into detail explaining how bad its been and how its affecting us all including his brother.
it was only after i rang saying we just couldnt go on as we were that the social worker arranged the ados but really it feels to me that he should be having more appointments with the psych not social worker. she cant diagnose anything can she.
i asked if he would see the psych again and the sw said depends how things seem when shes seeing him and that he might not need to. what must they be thinking ? it just occurred to me that maybe they think i am a just a crap parent that cant control a naughty boy or perhaps they think i am just being ott.
god maybe i need to stop thinking !

wasuup3000 Thu 02-Jun-11 23:29:10

Are you sure it is a social worker and not a Camhs keyworker? If it's the latter then they are usually medically trained and have experience of different difficulties a child may have. They pass on their observations and the ADOS results to the consultant psych and he/she looks at all the info he has been given and decides from there on about what to do next.

cheeryface Fri 03-Jun-11 09:30:43

i was told originally we were seeing a social worker for people with asd , that was when i phoned the office. maybe she is a keyworker , dont know. i think she is going to be observing him , well seeing him once a fortnight but ive already told them loads about how he is and how we are really struggling with him. i thought that 9 months of it would be enough and we were now going to be seeing the psych , not once but until she had decided what was wrong.

cheeryface Fri 03-Jun-11 09:34:28

tbh i am wondering if its ADD and when i said that to the psych she said that he concentrated fine during the ados . he does concentrate in some situtations but as far as i was aware that is the case for many with with ADD isnt it ?
last week he couldnt remember what is homework was , took all his cookery ingredients in on the wrong day and had me walk to school with forgotten trainers. wouldnt have even brushed his teeth if i hadnt reminded him. thats not concentrating well is it !

dolfrog Fri 03-Jun-11 11:44:03

Cheeryface

Have a look at
Identification and Evaluation of Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders
Facts, values, and Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): an update on the controversies
ADHD In-Depth Report
Auditory Processing Disorder
Auditory Processing Disorders Facts

wasuup3000 Fri 03-Jun-11 11:44:48

It certainly seems that he has some memory problems?

It may be worth getting your son a diary to see how he feels his day is gone on a scale one to 10, with a sad or happy face and just a sentance to write maybe more if he feels like it? He could then show it to whoever this Camhs person is when he sees her (if he wanted to) so she could really see how he is feeling and what he is thinking on a daily basis?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now