Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS2 crawled! Hooray!

(18 Posts)
alexpolismum Wed 01-Jun-11 14:09:30

Tra-la-la! [dances round the room]

He crawled, he crawled, he crawled!

Ok, so it was only 3 or 4 steps, and was quite a strain, he was puffing and exhausted afterwards, but he did it! He did it! smile grin

He's nearly 18 months now, with hypotonia and a few other issues, and we were told not to expect much. I was doing some physio with him and put him on all fours (as per advice from the physiotherapist). He looked ahead and saw his toy giraffe (his favourite thing) and suddenly he was trying to move! I can still hardly believe it! Until very recently he collapsed when put on all fours, and today he did this!

I'm so excited, I just had to share it!

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Wed 01-Jun-11 14:12:55

fantastic, well done to you both and giraffe smile

Becaroooo Wed 01-Jun-11 14:13:09

wow!!!!

Well done little man!

(and his mummy)

Lovely news smile

silverfrog Wed 01-Jun-11 14:13:13

yay! grin

how fantastic. well done ds2 grin

pinkorkid Wed 01-Jun-11 14:14:01

Congratulations! That's fantastic news and a sign of great progress to come.

alexpolismum Wed 01-Jun-11 14:18:37

pinkorkid - I hope so! I'm feeling so positive now!

(Yes, I know I shouldn't build it up too much as I might be in for disappointment, but I think we deserve to enjoy the moment! smile)

badkitty Wed 01-Jun-11 14:26:52

That is an amazing acheivement smile It was about this time last year that my DS did his first 3 or 4 wobbly crawling steps at a similar age - it is SUCH a difficult and such an important milestone so well done you and DS2!

alexpolismum Wed 01-Jun-11 14:58:21

badkitty - does your ds also have hypotonia? You're so right, it really is difficult, and a lot of people don't seem to understand that. They tell me he's just being lazy sad

I really hope this is a sign of good things to come, it really has come out of the blue, I wasn't expecting it at all.

starfishmummy Wed 01-Jun-11 15:13:29

Wow!! Its a great feeling isn't it?

Now you have to go and childproof places you din't need to before..........

proudmum74 Wed 01-Jun-11 15:37:38

That's fantastic - well done DS2!!smile

My dd (14 mths) has been on the verge of crawling for the past few months, but despite doing her physio exercises everyday & a few tantalisingly close moments we're still not quite there yet...

Herecomestheninkynonk Wed 01-Jun-11 15:37:56

Great news smile that giraffe better watch out...

badkitty Wed 01-Jun-11 16:21:16

My DS has CP and a mixture of high/low tone. It took him such a long time to start crawling - think it was very scary for him as he was so unstable - and even longer to get confident at it (I think after he took his first few steps I kind of hoped it would happen overnight). It is so nice now though that he can explore and decide where he wants to go rather than always being stuck where he is put smile

madwomanintheattic Wed 01-Jun-11 16:30:37

grin perfect!

we used to prop dd2 up facing the stairs so she could practise weight bearing on her arms a bit (be careful for head-plants though)

how lovely!

(lots more gym ball work wink)

signandsmile Wed 01-Jun-11 18:19:19

That's fantastic news, brill! grin

alexpolismum Wed 01-Jun-11 19:23:29

madwomanintheattic - what a good idea about the stairs. I never thought of that. (And yes, definitely more gym ball!)

badkitty - that's lovely for your ds to be able to explore. It makes such a difference to them, and I can see that ds2 gets frustrated and wants to do things. My ds2 is very unstable too, they were very wobbly steps! (and in general he's not very stable). It sounds like your ds is doing very well, even if not overnight! smile

sneezecakesmum Wed 01-Jun-11 20:15:26

My next door neighbours little boy had a traumatic birth and the hospital didnt think he would even survive (of the 'do you want to turn the ventilator off, variety'). He had severe hypotonia and did not start to lift his head till 9 months. His mum, like all of us, worked tirelessly, and today he is going on 8. He runs, hops, is bright and verbal and looks entirely OK physically. His fine motor skills are not the best but he manages with a computer. He tires more easily but goes from strength to strength.

He and his mum inspired us in the darkest days when DGS was in SCBU having had the same traumatic birth as her DS. It gave us hope which is proving correct, so I hope this little boys story reassures you too. smile

Galena Wed 01-Jun-11 21:59:59

Superb news! Well done that boy! No stopping him soon! We've been at the crawling stage for a while now (she started at 14 mo) and we're just starting the walking stage (at 2.1y). She's got up to about 8 steps but very wobbly and obviously hard work. No diagnosis here yet, but seeing the paed next week (possible CP)

TheCrunchyside Wed 01-Jun-11 22:00:24

Yay congrats to you both. You will be very happy childproofing now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now