Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Hemispheres program

(14 Posts)
mompa Wed 01-Jun-11 10:35:53

Hello has anyone used the Hemispheres program of movement done by occupational therapists for ASD child?

IndigoBell Wed 01-Jun-11 10:58:47

Odd girl has with stunning results.

I've done a similar one at the sound learning centre with equally impressive results.

A year ago school were trying to get DS a statement - now we're talking about him coming off the SEN register!

I highly recommend it. (Search old threads on retained reflex therapy to see many threads we've had about it)

mompa Wed 01-Jun-11 11:12:23

Thanks so much Indigo - am really hopeful

IndigoBell Wed 01-Jun-11 11:20:28

PM me if you want more info smile

I bore everyone else on here banging on about how good it is grin

Larissaisonline Wed 01-Jun-11 17:24:03

Hi we are doing Hemispheres at the moment , my ds is 5 with asd.

He is a different child and is making huge progress. it has been quite slow going though especially with certain exercises and sometimes his behaviours got worse before they got better IYSWIM.

There has been a huge difference in his behaviour at home especially with things like hitting and shouting - he is much more relaxed and even asks to do his "exercises" when he wants to relax (the hand and foot massage)

HTH

oddgirl Wed 01-Jun-11 17:53:28

Hiya
as Indigo says I have been using Hemispheres for about a year and they have been fabulousfor DS (6 years ASD/dyspraxia) They use a combination of RMT (rhythmic movements) and retained reflex therapies. DS has been transformed by them although as Larissais says behaviour can deteriorate before it gets better. They do warn you however and you just have to ride the storm (and I have just been through the equivalent of the Terrible Twos with my 6 year old so speak from experience).We see them monthly and its not cheap but it is the single most useful therapy I have done without a doubt.
HTH and just ask for more info
PS interestingly we have been addressing DS Moro reflex recently and I have become very emotional-apparently this is not an uncommon maternal side effect when your children are integrating this reflex-so so fascinating!

feynman Thu 02-Jun-11 01:59:36

What is the hemispheres programme? How do you find out about it?

IndigoBell Thu 02-Jun-11 07:17:03

These are some of the places that offer this type of program:

hemispheres
Sound Learning Centre
INPP

Becaroooo Thu 02-Jun-11 07:53:30

We are doing RRT with ds1 at INPP - as receommeded by indigo

Early days but we are very hopeful!

(INPP are great btw)

mompa Thu 02-Jun-11 09:34:11

Thanks so much for replies - can't wait to start. Interestingly I do foot massage with my DS and he loves it so will be keen to find out more

telsa Tue 12-Jul-11 12:21:13

Has anyone used Hemispheres to work through dyslexia and dyspraxia type LDs - without ASD aspects. I am weighing up whether to go for it or not.

walsingham Tue 12-Jul-11 18:34:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumgoingcrazy Tue 12-Jul-11 19:45:33

We've been going to Hemispheres since September last year and DD2 has come on leaps and bounds.

She was 3.3yr when we started and her progress has been amazing. We don't have a dx but she is definately dyspraxic but I don't think dyslexic, although she's still very young.

I would highly recomend!

(I should also mention that we do the BIBIC program and have done a AIT program too so the progress could be a combination of everything working together, either way it's progress so I'm happy)

telsa Wed 13-Jul-11 10:06:51

thanks both for your responses - I think I'll go for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now