Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

constantly chewing on whatever he can. help

(16 Posts)
Calally Mon 30-May-11 19:20:04

my 5 year old has a severe learning disability ( possibly autistic ) is constantly chewing on things, shoelaces ( will just lift a shoe and chew the lace ) drawstrings on clothes, straps on schoolbag etc. have spoken to OT, and they have given him a rubber thing to chew on. Not making a difference, everytime i try to give it to him, he just says its the dogs toy, and throws it for the dog. Anyone else experienced this type of behaviour? Any ideas of what to do would be gladly welcomed.

Marne Mon 30-May-11 20:05:01

Is it a chewey tube he has been given?

You could tie a shoe lace around his wrist and encourage him to chew that instead his clothes and shoe laces on his shoes?

Dd2 chews too (mainly her clothes and small plastic toys), i find myself constantly saying 'take it out your mouth' and it doesn't seem to make any difference what so ever sad, if i could find something that she could wear around her wrist or something small for her to carry around it would be great but at the moment her favorite thing to chew is her t-shirt.

Galena Mon 30-May-11 21:45:23

Have you seen chewlery? My friend's little girl uses a necklace.

nenevomito Mon 30-May-11 22:18:54

If there is an answer to this I'd love to hear it as DS chews everything, favouring wood if he can get his hands teeth on it.

Will look into that chewlery.

mummyplum Mon 30-May-11 22:35:35

DD does this, to everything, even herself. It drives me insane - she also is partial to licking everything to, in her words, make it all soft!!

Calally Thu 02-Jun-11 17:19:07

hes getting chewy tube sent home. will look into chewlery. just tried giving him a straw, lasted a few mins, then was back to his drawstring. glad im not the only one experiencing this.

keepingupwiththejoneses Thu 02-Jun-11 18:30:29

You can buy chew tubes here and here £7.99 each.

Calally Thu 02-Jun-11 18:36:37

just checked those out. hes had some like that from ot, but thinks there dog toys. ot sending home chewy tube, will see how that goes. might get some of that chewlery

niminypiminy Thu 02-Jun-11 20:26:11

It would be nice if there was something to chew that wasn't either like a dog toy (completely agree about those chewy tubes) or girly like chewelry. DS1 chews constantly and all the collars and necklines of his clothes are stiff and ragged, but I can't give him either of those things because he is aware enough to know that other children would think he was chewing something the dog had played with or was wearing bracelets just like a girl.

nenevomito Thu 02-Jun-11 20:59:15

What I could really do with is some safe chewable wood. I've tried liquorice root but he didn't like the taste [frustrated emoticon].

Galena Thu 02-Jun-11 21:50:54

How about these?

Can't do wood though, sorry!

niminypiminy Thu 02-Jun-11 22:15:23

Thank you! mwah!

Galena Thu 02-Jun-11 22:27:51

Hehe, you're welcome. DD isn't a chewer, but I like a google challenge now and again!

(Although one website I found suggested sugar cane if liquorice root was no good)

myBOYSareBONKERS Fri 03-Jun-11 19:42:29

I have got my DS sweat wrist bands. Cheap and can be put in the washing machine!

waitingforgodot Fri 03-Jun-11 21:36:49

My DS is a chewer and has found an old chewing toy from when he was a baby. Its ok for the house and he doesnt tend to chew outwith the house

Calally Sat 04-Jun-11 18:06:58

thanks for all the suggestions. hopefully some of these will work.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: